Blaze King insert (1975 version)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livywell

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2007
missouri
Would someone be able to walk me through how to use a wood burning insert? My significant other has left, and I really have no idea on how to use it. Its starting to get chilly downstairs and I have the wood and all my supplies, just need help about the damper and how to get things going. I did print out How to start a fire on hearth.com.
Thanks so much, you guys all seem real knowledgeable

livywell said:
Would someone be able to walk me through how to use a wood burning insert? My significant other has left, and I really have no idea on how to use it. Its starting to get chilly downstairs and I have the wood and all my supplies, just need help about the damper and how to get things going. I did print out How to start a fire on hearth.com.
Thanks so much, you guys all seem real knowledgeable

If you can find the manual for your stove it will help with things like which controls do what, and probably the specifics for your stove. If you check the BK website they may have the manual or be able to send you one.

If it's a 1975 insert, that means it's probably pre-EPA, or a rather creosote prone stove. Do you know if the chimney has been cleaned since the last time the stove was burned heavily? Have you made arrangements to have it checked / cleaned as needed over the course of the winter? This is vital, as a dirty chimney is a high risk for chimney fires, and real heavy buildups can even hurt the ability to burn.

Do you have any pictures of the stove, preferably that show all the controls? Do you know what the controls do - stoves vary, and while some stuff is obvious, just seeing a lever or knob sticking out of the side doesn't say much :-S

If you get us more info, we will try to help you out. Also whereabouts do you live? It is sometimes hard to deal with this sort of thing on the net, and we may have a regular that would be willing to give you a visit for some "hands on" training.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.