Blaze king king model Id?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
I am going to have a look at this older king king tomorrow. The listed model number in the ad is kej1001. When I talked to them they felt certain it was either kej1001 or kej11001 possibly? The picture to me looks exactly like a 1101. Unclear on any clear dates or info and no possibility of any other pictures. A really nice older couple who bought a house with this stove in it. They know not much about it other than they say it looks in excellent condition. I determined it will be easier to look myself than bother them to much over the phone. But I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts here on id'ing or what to look for in this older unit.

It is a cat model, has a bypass and the thermostatic control, and the cat thermometer.

Sorry this one sideways picture is all I have available to me.

IMG_1255.PNG

So as far as I can tell it would be a kej1100 or a 1101. Earliest king cats. From what I've read the 1100 has a round combustor and isn't EPA certd and the 1101 has a oval combustor and is epa certd. I've also read that these early design of cats were less efficient and the combustor longevity isn't as good as th later designs. Also in researching it it seems that the older combustors are pricier?

I may pass on this and hold out for a newer model.

So as far as I can tell it would be a kej1100 or a 1101. Earliest king cats. From what I've read the 1100 has a round combustor and isn't EPA certd and the 1101 has a oval combustor and is epa certd. I've also read that these early design of cats were less efficient and the combustor longevity isn't as good as th later designs. Also in researching it it seems that the older combustors are pricier?

I may pass on this and hold out for a newer model.
You are dead on!

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for the reply. Nice of you to confirm for myself and others who may find the info. And always nice to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I still feel a bit on the fence about going to check it out or not. i know they will sell it no problem whether it's to me or someone else. I'm thinking to hold out for a kej1102 or later as that seems to be much closer to the newest of models rectangular vertical combustor. They fetch a more premium price it seems unless abused and then not really worthwhile even at a 'deal'. They are only asking $400cdn for this old beauty.

I'm curious what sort of burn times were capable out of these earliest of cats. I'd assume it to be less, but how much less? Also curious on the older thermostat control if it was considered highly effective or has there been a lot of refining?

Burn times are nearly the same...but the cat is mounted horizontally and not easy to replace or inspect. Suffice it to say great lessons and improvements in the past 20 years.

The 1101 sell around here for $100.00

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks again. Yah stoves don't get down much cheaper than this in my area it seems. $100-$150 stove would be scrap or full rebuild. But great info still and much appreciated.

But I'll bide my time and find a newer unit. Up here secondhand though, BK's are not a dime a dozen and they seem to sell quick.

It's going to go in my shop to replace my old Lakewood which is why I'm primarily shopping second hand. Plus I love the thrill of the hunt.........of a deal! Lol.