Blaze King ktj304

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dave dunaway

Oct 26, 2023
soda creek bc
Hi ,new to this forum. I just picked up a BK ktj304 from a neighbour who ran it for years. He bought a new one. When I look into the stovepipe opening in the top (8”) you can see right into the fire box. What’s missing? Is there a baffle I can install or can I run it like this. Thanks

Thank you, that’s some good information I didn’t have. It still doesn’t show what is directly below the flue opening. I’m sure something is missing, however my friend ran it for years like this.

If the stove had a baffle there would be some sign of an angle iron shelf on the back side of the stove. Or some old welds where it used to be. It would not hurt to install a baffle of 1/4 inch steel. It would keep the fire from going straight up the flu. Many of the older BlazeKings did have baffle installed.

Most here probably have no idea what a KTJ304 is, as (I think) they're about 40 years old now. This is a pre-catalytic stove, and the cross-section in the manual does indicate it's just a wide open box, open to the chimney, if we put any faith in that sketch.

Do note the manual calls out inspecting the chimney TWICE per month, and cleaning if necessary. The capitalization of TWICE comes right from the manual, that wasn't me. By comparison, most of us today are running stoves that could go a few years between cleaning, although a yearly inspection is always recommended.

Paging @BKVP, he may be able to help, but I'd really consider ditching that antique and finding something better, if you can swing the budget. They've improved an awful lot in the 40 years since that model was popular.

Thanks for all the replies. I would love to have a newer model, but my budget is tight at the moment. The stove is going into my shop so it won’t be running full time like a house unit. I’ll just light it up in the morning and let it go out when I’m finished working. I’m retired so not in the shop everyday.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for all the replies. I would love to have a newer model, but my budget is tight at the moment. The stove is going into my shop so it won’t be running full time like a house unit. I’ll just light it up in the morning and let it go out when I’m finished working. I’m retired so not in the shop everyday.
It could actually work pretty well, in that scenario, as you'll likely be running it a little harder to bring a cold shop up to temperature. It's when you damp these old things down that they foul up a chimney, as they don't have any secondary burn system to clean up the exhaust. Burning a little hotter and faster is ideal, for these.

Aside from checking for completeness, you may want to start watching and reading threads in the Classics part of this forum. The guys hanging out over there are the ones who can tell you how to set up and run an older stove like this, for best efficiency and least chimney fouling.

Reactions: dave dunaway
Most here probably have no idea what a KTJ304 is, as (I think) they're about 40 years old now. This is a pre-catalytic stove, and the cross-section in the manual does indicate it's just a wide open box, open to the chimney, if we put any faith in that sketch.

Do note the manual calls out inspecting the chimney TWICE per month, and cleaning if necessary. The capitalization of TWICE comes right from the manual, that wasn't me. By comparison, most of us today are running stoves that could go a few years between cleaning, although a yearly inspection is always recommended.

Paging @BKVP, he may be able to help, but I'd really consider ditching that antique and finding something better, if you can swing the budget. They've improved an awful lot in the 40 years since that model was popular.
Overseas, sorry. No baffles were in that model. You can see brick through flue collar.

BKVP