Blaze King Princess Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buol

Dec 20, 2009
tetons, wy
I've got a log shop 60x40 open with 15' ceiling insulated above and a metal roof. To use it as a workshop/winter I can get a good used BK princess which has a 14" box stack and a 6" class A chimney inside..so i'm told. My studs are, i think, 24" apart above. Is the easier/better and/or safer way to go straight up through the roof or do a 90 degree out through the log wall? any thoughts/considerations one way or the other? thanks.

It's always better to go strait up through the roof if possible. Through the wall will work if you can't go through the roof though.

thanks, learnin to burn. unless anyone thinks otherwise, that's what i'll do. (hmmm, maybe i should change my screen name to 'just barely learnin to burn'....) merry christmas.

Depends on the age of the Princess. If it's an old non cat, go through the wall (if metal) and there is plenty of heat loss for a positive draw. That way you do not disturb the metal roof integrity.

However, if it's one of their newer ones, the guys are right...go straight up. The clearances with double wall will let you run between the 24" centers with room to spare.

Merry Christmas

Ideally you would also run the chimney up through the roof near the peak of the roof. Meaning put the stove under the ridge. This way most of the chimney is inside the shop where it will be the cheaper black connector pipe and also more of the chimney will be an "interior" chimney which will be warmer and form less creosote. Another benefit is that being near the ridge means less snow and rain will slide past it.

thanks. i'll have to check on the age and whether it's a cat or not. i haven't seen it yet, probably next week. the walls are log. in terms of placement since i've got large doors front and back i could go a little ways off midline and still be able to get around it w/o much trouble when needed. the floor's concrete on gravel/dirt base.

it turns out the unit is a king model, not a princess, but while the guy had an 8" connector, he went into a 6" class A chimney thru the roof. is this ok? or best/safest/most efficient draftwise (i would think) to continue w/ 8" all the way up?

Status
Not open for further replies.