Blaze King Sirocco 20.2 and ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Before pulling the trigger on a BK Sirocco 20.2, what other comparable, long burn time, catalytic style stove(s) should I investigate?

It will be going where the X is. 1525 sq ft on the main floor. Supplemental heat. ~23' x 27' great room.

Local dealer said 20.2 is better size than 30.2 for this application.
2024-03-29_12-37-18.png

The 20 and the 30 have pretty much the same heat output when turned down so the dealer isn't correct. Dealers aren't always the most informed. I would take the 30 over the 20. It gives longer burn times with the same heat output. That cathedral ceiling will take a lot of heat too. Make sure you have a ceiling fan up there. Do you have wood yet? That needs to be done before getting the stove.

The 20 and the 30 have pretty much the same heat output when turned down so the dealer isn't correct. Dealers aren't always the most informed. I would take the 30 over the 20. It gives longer burn times with the same heat output. That cathedral ceiling will take a lot of heat too. Make sure you have a ceiling fan up there. Do you have wood yet? That needs to be done before getting the stove.
Yes, I am putting a 60" ceiling fan in the center of the great room.

I probably have my first winter's wood that is dry (checked some Ash last week and it was 8.8%. I need to get some more cut and out into the sun and wind.

Reactions: kborndale
also a 30x30 ft room is large. The master bedroom will get some heat, the rest not so much.
If the 30.2 is going to bake you out of the room, a 20.2 will do so too, see what kborndale said.

The Ash at 8.8 % is unlikely - did you let the split get to room temperature and then resplit it and measure on the freshly exposed surface so you get the moisture content in the center of a split?

@stoveliker In my other thread you said you thought the 30.2 was too big. Same floor plan. So which is it?

The ash was dead for years when it fell and its been split for probably 6 years. It was room temp. But I'll split it again and see.

@stoveliker In my other thread you said you thought the 30.2 was too big. Same floor plan. So which is it?

The ash was dead for years when it fell and its been split for probably 6 years. It was room temp. But I'll split it again and see.
The Ash: should be good then. I'd trust it without remeasuring if it was undercover split for 2 years or more (for ash).

I was not explicit enough; I said all stoves in that list are too big. That pertained to the non-cat stoves there.
The point of the BK models is that the minimum output is the same. So if one is too big the other is too.
BK shines in having extended the *range* of outputs the stove can provide to the lower end.

In the end a stove that can do a minimum of 11,300 BTU/hr and one that can do a minimum of 11,900 BTU/hr are the same.

Before pulling the trigger on a BK Sirocco 20.2, what other comparable, long burn time, catalytic style stove(s) should I investigate?
Woodstock Absolute Steel or Fireview models may be worth a looksie.
I can't say for certain as I will not specifically comment or spit out an opinion/advice on a stove make/model that I have not personally owned/operated. Period.
The Woodstock models I referenced have a popular following, seem to fit the size requirement, and are Catalytic.

On the other hand. If you would like a real-world opinion on the BK 20 Sirocco from someone who has operated one for 7 years feel free to PM me.
The real question needing discussed is what size stove does it take to heat a home in your location with your level of insulation etc?
How many hrs in a 24 hr period will the stove be left unattended?
2 cu/ft +,-?
3 cu/ft +,-?

Food for thought. Enjoy shopping.