Blaze King updates the Princess specs on their site

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what did they do to get the 30burn times ?? did they redesign the stove and if so what was done

what did they do to get the 30burn times ?? did they redesign the stove and if so what was done

I doubt they changed anything, mine was made in 2006(it was a display model), I lit the first fire in it last season and have achieved 30 hour "burn times". These stoves on 1.5-1.75 go 24 hours, I just loaded after 24+ hours a few minutes ago.

I run my stove on #1. 16-18hr "burn" maybe, but 30hrs... I'd have to see that to believe it.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
geez highbeam ,no good reads on the hearth so ya had to go back to the bk site and re-read the brocure/owners manual for probally the 100th time;lol

good find. i bet mine would go 30 hours on low stuffed to the gills .although i dont have a super draft!

Dang it! I thought it was my great woodburning skills that achieved the 30+ hour burns not the stove?:p

Out of curiosity, what kind of surface temp are you guys pulling for these 18 to 30 hr burn times? Anyone have a good idea of typical surface temps on 4 to 5 hour intervals through the burn cycle?

I'm going to need a second stove next year...and I could take or leave the looks of the bk personally, but these burn times are hard to ignore.

Out of curiosity, what kind of surface temp are you guys pulling for these 18 to 30 hr burn times? Anyone have a good idea of typical surface temps on 4 to 5 hour intervals through the burn cycle?

I'm going to need a second stove next year...and I could take or leave the looks of the bk personally, but these burn times are hard to ignore.

See post #3 in this thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/simple-thread-blaze-king-princess-burn-times.99974/#post-1277792

For a 24 hour burn my stove top averages around 400 degrees. Starts out in the 500's and ends up around 300 with the cat still in the active range.

Yeah I saw that one, but it only details from 8:25pm to 11:55pm - plus stove is down to coals by 5am and coals had to be raked and air opened up to pick stove back up to 400, then down to a "stove hotspot"(?) of 350* for a morning reload around 7am...

so roughly 10 hour burn time on that load and only had surface temp recorded for the first four hours, unless I am missing something?

If for the sake of discussion we consider 350* surface temp the cutoff for useful heat, how long will the princess burn - dialed in and untouched - at surface temps that are in the useful heat range? Are you guys getting 18 to 30 hrs at 350* plus? If not, how many hours are you getting above that temp?

For a 24 hour burn my stove top averages around 400 degrees. Starts out in the 500's and ends up around 300 with the cat still in the active range.

Man that's awesome...same temps I get out of my Jotul...but I'm down to 300 after about 10 to 12 hours hours :)

Yeah I saw that one, but it only details from 8:25pm to 11:55pm - plus stove is down to coals by 5am and coals had to be raked and air opened up to pick stove back up to 400, then down to a "stove hotspot"(?) of 350* for a morning reload around 7am...

so roughly 10 hour burn time on that load and only had surface temp recorded for the first four hours, unless I am missing something?

If for the sake of discussion we consider 350* surface temp the cutoff for useful heat, how long will the princess burn - dialed in and untouched - at surface temps that are in the useful heat range? Are you guys getting 18 to 30 hrs at 350* plus? If not, how many hours are you getting above that temp?

Yeah, sorry. I didn't look that close. It must have been the one sorta cold day we had last winter. My low burn temps are the same as Todd's, just longer. There are no exaggerations, that's just the way it is.

geez highbeam ,no good reads on the hearth so ya had to go back to the bk site and re-read the brocure/owners manual for probally the 100th time;lol

good find. i bet mine would go 30 hours on low stuffed to the gills .although i dont have a super draft!

I was actually looking for the owner's manual online to see how the manual thinks I am supposed to reload this thing. The owner's manual also has a 12/6/12 update so there will be something new in there as well.

The Princess could always do 30 hours. I go way more than 24 with dry but low quality softwoods on settings above the minimum and with the minimum required pipe size. I can only imagine better results for you hardwood guys. BK just now optimized their marketing literature to more closely match reality.

Something is wrong with your stove Nate. Your burntimes are always way too low and your data pints are so far from the majority of us owners that you really must have something out of whack. I don't know what it is but I suspect too much air entering the firebox from either the door or the stat.

Meathead, the cat world is really quite extraordinary. I burned a Hearthstone non-cat for over 25 cords before moving to this stove for the burn times. I had to take a leap of faith that this ugly stove would make heat for such long periods of time but the ugly princess has proven that it can. I reload on a 24 hour cycle unless we have a cold snap. It'll never look as nice as a hearthstone or a jotul but the beauty is in the performance.

Something is wrong with your stove Nate. Your burntimes are always way too low and your data pints are so far from the majority of us owners that you really must have something out of whack. I don't know what it is but I suspect too much air entering the firebox from either the door or the stat.

Been trying to say that, but he seems happy.

Man that's awesome...same temps I get out of my Jotul...but I'm down to 300 after about 10 to 12 hours hours :)

Just remember for a cat stove the stove top temps don't tell the whole story. My temps were taken right on top of the cat, as you move away it cools down and the sides were running 250-300. IMO A long 24-30 hour burn puts out about the same heat as a single 1500w electric baseboard which is fine for warmer 40-50's days but doesn't do squat for colder Winter days like I have today.

Just remember for a cat stove the stove top temps don't tell the whole story. My temps were taken right on top of the cat, as you move away it cools down and the sides were running 250-300. IMO A long 24-30 hour burn puts out about the same heat as a single 1500w electric baseboard which is fine for warmer 40-50's days but doesn't do squat for colder Winter days like I have today.

I'm running around 450-500 on top of the cat today, but with fire in the box the whole stove is hot. Night and day difference with heat output vs a smoldering cat burn.

And I suspect that is what Nate has to do all the time with his outdoor temps, hence shorter burn times.

I would have thought so too but he is getting those burn times with a very very low stat setting. Hot house, hot stove, short burn time, low stat setting. That last is the problem.

Is it safe to assume that those with the really long burn times have tightly sealed homes?

Or just low heat requirements due to climate. My home is 1963 built and not tightly sealed but I live in the foothills of the cascade mountains where we hang out in the upper 30s most of the time.

We all, well almost all, have those long burn times if we can stuff the stove full of decent fuel and reduce the stat setting.

Ok, detail would be the stove was at 43x at 11:55pm, 12:55am it was 4xx*, at 1:55am it was 4xx* at 3:00am it was 4xx* and at 5:00am it was 400*. ;)

The stove is less than 3 cubic feet and I had 5 inches of ash in the stove so if I only had 2 inches of ash in the stove I would've had about another .5 cubic feet of usable space. ;lol

That was a day in the teens, for me the cat stoves shine in the 30's+. When it's cold the cat stoves burn similar to other stoves in the size range imo. Right now I'm still burning in 24 hour loads but those are quickly coming to an end.

Reactions: charger4406
I burn about 3-3.5 cords a winter, generally burning 24/7 from October to March. That is with temps anywhere from 30* to -30*. This is the 3rd winter I've been running this stove and its worked the same since day one.

Keep in mind too that the blower is running 24/7. That seems to effect burn times. I find the stove doesn't work worth a darn without the blower going. Sure it heats up the area around the stove, but not the rest of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.