Bleed screw - log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I got an electric log splitter. The instructions are rather vague but say " the bleed screw should be loosened by some rotations until air can go in and out of the oil tank smoothly". For someone with no mechanical background, how much is "some rotations". Seems a bit vague. Will I be able to hear the air flowing? I'm confused on how many turns to open the screw and don't want to ruin my new toy. It's a BILT HARD TL-LS65 if that matters.

Not the exact answer but I have a harbor freight electric and the instruction say to remove the screw. The hydraulic fluid does spit out sometimes.

So it turned out to be self explanatory. I opened it a little and the ram took forever to get to the log. I opened it until it was moving along at a normal speed and had the blowing grass to confirm air flow so that was good.

I'm very impressed with this little splitter. Two headed knotty wood had to be repositioned a lot to get through, but it easily went through rounds I was not expecting it to make a dent. This toy is going to save a ton of work.

Reactions: Supersurvey
Interesting operational notes! I don't know if there are additional instructions, but based on that functionality, it sounds like for long term storage it might be a good idea to move the splitter to the position where the air is mostly 'out' of the oil tank (suspect that would be with the ram retracted) and close the bleed screw. That would give the best change to keep moisture, dirt, bugs, other critters out of the oil.

Other than that, keep your wedge moderately sharp and it may be surprising what the little splitter will slice through.

Interesting operational notes! I don't know if there are additional instructions, but based on that functionality, it sounds like for long term storage it might be a good idea to move the splitter to the position where the air is mostly 'out' of the oil tank (suspect that would be with the ram retracted) and close the bleed screw. That would give the best change to keep moisture, dirt, bugs, other critters out of the oil.

Other than that, keep your wedge moderately sharp and it may be surprising what the little splitter will slice through.
Yes, the instructions did at least specify closing the screw again after it's back where it's being stored.