Blessings come in weird ways.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Severe wind last night.

Lotsa oak for me ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 286
Severe wind last night.

Lotsa oak for me ;)
Be careful if your going to cut the standing one, has barber chair written all over it.

Reactions: edward dillon
That wind storm gave the oak trees a whipping. Like the guys said, that is going to be a tricky one to cut. I like the idea of wrapping a chain around it.

It just jumped right onto your stacks!
Pick me, pick me! ;lol
I had a Mulberry volunteer itself onto my processing area last year...

Thanks guys.

My tree guy is coming in for the split tree, right next to the house. It's at least 100 feet high. He'll drop it and cut it into 16 - 18"rounds.

I have a buddy coming in for help with the limb.

My chain saw days are over. Unless it's my 18V Black & Decker ;)

Ironically I had a big dead aspen fall onto my “to be cut” pile, and also a dead pine that had a weird break/lean fall over, worked out for me, I was trying to decide what the safest way of cutting it down was.

Good idea to let a pro handle that one. Tricky cut on a big tree. You can go to youtube and see some amateur boys making some big boo boos trying to cut dangerous trees.

Severe wind last night.

Lotsa oak for me ;)
I like your lemonade out of lemons!

When everyone else is fretting over the strong winds and increasingly frequent storms, I'm excited to see what is going to be served up in the way of firewood.

Smart move to have a pro take care of that split tree. I'm frightened just looking at it.

One day I was working on a white birch that had broken off at about 8' down by the road. The neighbor arborist drove by and saw what I was doing, turned around, and stopped in for a closer look. He said, let me see your saw, made three cuts in a way that I never would have, and got the dangerous tree on the ground for me. I told him to send me a bill, he just looked at me and smiled. Really nice guy.

Still waiting on the tree guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 147
It fell, like 20 minutes ago... missed the house !

Totally rotted out at the bottom.

To dark for pics.

Took these early this morning

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
By chance was anyone still in house when it happened?.

Wow!

TIme to buy some lottery tickets ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ispinwool and Dix
Yikes! Look how it is all rotten in the middle. Close call.

I cut one down that was completely rotted like that at the edge of my property. There is another I'm sure is the same but its leaning well away from my property. I'll get to it this winter I hope. That first picture I had to take a double look. The wood stacks, blue tarp, and wooden fence behind it look almost like my splitting area. Glad you are safe.

I don’t believe there’s any wizardry falling tricks that would have helped much with that one. I would have used my tree service slingshot and got a cable in it and ripped it over in a safe direction. If it didn’t come over I would have just kept tickling it with the saw until it folded. Probably should start taking pics of some of the nasty lash ups I run into but then I’d probably jinx myself ha ha

Reactions: D8Chumley
Glad it missed the house! Saved you a tree guy fee.

Next door neighbor burns, too. Offered to come help me clean it up. I gladly, and thankfully accepted. He can take as much of it as he wants :)

Reactions: ispinwool
Took these early this morning
This is great. Nice to save the dough on the tree surgeon.

I've had really good luck myself on a big twin trunked hemlock that fell within inches of an outbuilding this spring, and a cluster of three white birches that could have landed on the driveway, garden fence, or overhead wires. Two of the three threaded the needle and fell exactly where they hit nothing, and we harassed the local utility for three years to cut the last one down from their right-of-way, which they finally did. They even cut it into rounds for us. No pics unfortunately!