sawdust1 Posted By sawdust1, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM

1. sawdust1

sawdust1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Western MA
    Can I block off the Oak from a Harman. My son is getting a used Harman and where the stove will go there is no place for the OAK to go. Also it will be vented into a six inch pipe used for a wood stove that is about 25 feet high on the outside of the house.Thanks Dennis

2. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AndrewChurchill

AndrewChurchill
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Short answer is no. If you block that port your stove will not get enough air to function. Just don't connect a pipe to it and allow it to draw air from the room instead of outdoors.

4. AndrewChurchill

AndrewChurchill
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Short answer is no. If you block that port your stove will not get enough air to function. Just don't connect a pipe to it and allow it to draw air from the room instead of outdoors.

5. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    yep... should have mentioned " don't block it off" but I assumed they wouldn't....

the stove needs air for good combustion which it gets either via OAK or from the air in your house..
    has to come from somewhere....
    we had a cool draft along our floor which was air being pulled to the stove until we got an OAK.
    The draft ended with the OAK. short answer is you can run the stove without an outdoor kit.
    I assume where the stove will be there is no outside wall to run an OAK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    AndrewChurchill likes this.
  6. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    btw: without an OAK,
    you are drawing in indoor air that you paid to heat...
    just sayin..!!!!!!

7. doghouse

doghouse
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2008
    Loc:
    maine
    And replacing all that paid for heated air going out the exhaust vent with cold, outside air coming in from every nook, cranny and every uninsulated, unsealed parts of your home.

Tonyray likes this.