block off plate installed with little results...maybe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2008
northshore ma
I just cut in and screwed a two piece block off plate on my I1200 insert from regency with a center chimney in hopes it will heat the home better with higher temps. I have averaged 350 on the door of this unit above the glass and the best I have had is almost 375 with plate. Is this the result that I should expect and if there are others what would they be. THanks for you help and I will be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks
Dave

A block off plate isn't going to make the stove run any hotter. Well not much hotter if any. What it does is keep the heat from going up the chimney. Your room should be warmer.

Those temps are kinda low arnt they. Hows your wood and or draft? Those temps dont even reach the normal temps before a person starts to throttle the air back for a good secondary burn.

davenorthshorema said:
I just cut in and screwed a two piece block off plate on my I1200 insert from regency with a center chimney in hopes it will heat the home better with higher temps. I have averaged 350 on the door of this unit above the glass and the best I have had is almost 375 with plate. Is this the result that I should expect and if there are others what would they be. THanks for you help and I will be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks
Dave

Dave,
I think that your temps should be much higher as I frequently get temps of 500-600 with only a few splits of wood in my I3100. I don't want to sound elementary, but is your wood truly well-seasoned? That should really help.
Rich

Sounds like wood /or chimney to me too. That or throttling back too early. Can you tell us about your setup?

Matt

The wood has been seasoned for atleast two years. there are checks in the the wood and the light up right away when put on coals. the insert is in a center chimnney and the draft doesn't seem like a problem. the liner is alittle longer than 15 ft, full liner with cap to the manufacturers specs. Does the placement of the thermo make a difference on the door? the draft once the insert if fired up for a few minutes sounds like an jet engine so the draft seems okay. If I don't throttle down after 45 minutes I might night have any wood left and the thermo Rutland magnetic type from depot measures around 300 to 350 before i throttle down. Sometimes I get it up to 400 but very rare...maybe the wood type determines that. I will be glad to answer any other questions....

Thanks alldave

Dave - as said above, don't expect the block off plate to increase stove temp. The design is to keep the heated air from the stove inside the living space and not going up the chimney.

Hmmm...not sure about the door thermo. If it were on top of the stove, it would be way to cool, but on the door....dunno.

Dave - I agree with the other posters regarding block-off plate to reduce the amount of room air escaping up the chimney. You should notice a fairly significant increase in the room temp (assuming all other things, i.e. insulation, leaks, etc., are equal). Have/do you measure your room temp with a thermometer? If so, have you noticed an increase since you installed the block of plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.