Block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crhyner

Mar 13, 2021
Yonkers, NY
Good people of the internet,

Quick question for you. I recently had a Drolet 1800i installed, only been able to get it going once, very excited about it though. I had it professionally installed - I've been obsessively gathering and chopping wood for months. My chimney had a small flue and the installers had to extend it just a bit to fit the liner - my point is that it is a narrow flue. The guys stuffed Roxul around the top of the liner/chimney, and also stuffed the bottom flue area and surrounded the stove. It's packed pretty tight. Attached are pictures of the stove with and without the faceplate. I'm wondering if this Roxul and faceplate combo will suffice as a block off plate function. Hoping I don't have to tear out this insulation and mess around in order to really get more benefit.

FWIW, we're in the NYC area, so the winters are rather mild.

thank you for helping,

Charlie

2021-07-06 13.56.00.jpg 2021-07-06 13.56.45.jpg 2021-07-06 13.59.04.jpg

Good people of the internet,

Quick question for you. I recently had a Drolet 1800i installed, only been able to get it going once, very excited about it though. I had it professionally installed - I've been obsessively gathering and chopping wood for months. My chimney had a small flue and the installers had to extend it just a bit to fit the liner - my point is that it is a narrow flue. The guys stuffed Roxul around the top of the liner/chimney, and also stuffed the bottom flue area and surrounded the stove. It's packed pretty tight. Attached are pictures of the stove with and without the faceplate. I'm wondering if this Roxul and faceplate combo will suffice as a block off plate function. Hoping I don't have to tear out this insulation and mess around in order to really get more benefit.

FWIW, we're in the NYC area, so the winters are rather mild.

thank you for helping,

Charlie

View attachment 280004 View attachment 280005 View attachment 280006

No insulation stuffed in isn't nearly as good as a sheet metal block off plate. But it's better than nothing for sure. My question is are you sure that is roxul? It looks like fiberglass to me. And is the liner insulated?

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
OK, I think you all are right! So, what steps should I take to make this thing more efficient?
Get rid of the fiberglass that doesn't have the required temperature rating. Make sure the liner is insulated. That will bring it up to code then install an insulated block off plate and possibly insulate behind the insert with actual rock or ceramic wool. That will improve performance.

Wear a mask while doing this!