Blocking the air intake by %75

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emich

Jan 5, 2022
Emich323
Just realized that blocking the air intake by %75 on my pellet stove increased the output air temperature from 110 to 150 degree without any other changes.
I have Winslow PS40. There is no dumper. What are your thoughts about it?

Page 26 of manual
Draft Adjuster The Winslow™ PS40 stove has a draft adjuster located at the left side of the stove directly in front of the combustion blower. Should the stove installation require long runs of vent pipe, a situation may be created where excessive combustion air is flowing through the firebox and causing the fuel to burn faster than it can be delivered to the Burn-Pot. Should this happen, the draft can be slowed down by the adjuster. The stove is shipped with the adjuster in the fully open position. To slow the draft down, loosen the 5/32” allen head screw (A in Figure 54) and move the adjuster handle toward the center of the stove. Retighten the screw when the desired adjustment is reached.

No manual here

Thanks for the info and the manual. Thinking to install adjustable dumper on the air intake. Open when the pellet stove starts. Closed when the blower motor kicks on.

thats what the draft adjustor is for..
Draft adjustor is not practical. You need maximum air inflow when starting the pellet stove and less air when you reach normal operating temperature. Not to mention the plate is so stuck it is impossible to move.

Draft adjustor is not practical. You need maximum air inflow when starting the pellet stove and less air when you reach normal operating temperature. Not to mention the plate is so stuck it is impossible to move.
So instead of fixing the "possible" problem, you want to add a device to do the same thing? No logic to that. And you are very wrong about "maximum airflow when starting stove", just the opposite is true. Too much air keeps flames from building on the glowing embers.or moves the hot air too fast to light the pellets. Matter of fact, many pellet stoves slow down the combustion blower during the start up sequence for this, yours may.

So instead of fixing the "possible" problem, you want to add a device to do the same thing? No logic to that. And you are very wrong about "maximum airflow when starting stove", just the opposite is true. Too much air keeps flames from building on the glowing embers.or moves the hot air too fast to light the pellets. Matter of fact, many pellet stoves slow down the combustion blower during the start up sequence for this, yours may.
I don't have a problem with the draft. I am using 3ft. direct vent. The fact remains that restricting the air intake by %75 increases the temperature by %12

I don't have a problem with the draft. I am using 3ft. direct vent. The fact remains that restricting the air intake by %75 increases the temperature by %12
You obviously "think" you have a problem with the draft, as you are blocking it off. You are doing the same thing you can do with the stoves adjuster.It does not matter where you block the draft,before or after the combustion blower, or at the intake.
Running at "maximum" heat output may not be good for your stove.
You should repair the stove and use the built in adjuster.

Reactions: johneh

You obviously "think" you have a problem with the draft, as you are blocking it off. You are doing the same thing you can do with the stoves adjuster.It does not matter where you block the draft,before or after the combustion blower, or at the intake.
Running at "maximum" heat output may not be good for your stove.
You should repair the stove and use the built in adjuster.
I guess running the stove properly would be to much work?

I have not moved my draft adjustment in 4 years of owning the stove unless im giving it a deep cleaning. I found the sweet spot and left it their. I have it set for the setting my stove is normally on as the lower settings im not overly concerned about loosing a degree or 2

Reactions: Mt Bob and johneh
I guess running the stove properly would be to much work?

I have not moved my draft adjustment in 4 years of owning the stove unless im giving it a deep cleaning. I found the sweet spot and left it their. I have it set for the setting my stove is normally on as the lower settings im not overly concerned about loosing a degree or 2
I agree I found the sweet spot 20 years ago and marked it on the draft adj. rod
Only adj if I switch to a lower grade pellet
Why don't you fix it right the first time and not try to build a better mousetrap