Blower door test today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
So as part of my insulation update offered thought the electric company I had my blower door test today. Looks like the house is running around 3000 cfm. I guess a good number would be around 1500. Even with a block of plate around my stove(uninsulated) I am loosing 300 cfm from the fireplace. Looks like some Roxul in order. I am having all of the insulation work done in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see the difference in the numbers before and after. He said they should be around 1800 cfm when done.

Good decision to have the test done.
Strange though, typically I've seen results expressed as so many house air changes per hour at standard pressure differential.
I've also seen where they say you have a leakage equivalent to hole in the side of your house of a certain area.
Just so we're on the same page, (thermal) insulation and air sealing are not the same thing although installation of certain types of thermal insulation such as dense packed cellulose or spray foam performs both functions.
In any case, once they're done doing the energy upgrades you'll likely be amazed at the difference in comfort and energy costs.

The recommended plan is to seal all of the sills. Insulate all of the knee walls(cape), insulate and weather strip all of the doors, and to blow 10 inches of insulation in the attic.

I hope they're planning to seal all the air leaks between conditioned space and the attic also. The many leaks created where wiring, plumbing etc. enters the attic is a major source of heat loss which isn't addressed by blowing in loose fill insulation.

Reactions: woodgeek
tell us your conditioned cubic feet, or sq ft and mean ceiling height, and we can convert the ACH50 and ACH_nat. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.