Blower for Buck Stove model 51 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcurse8

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
Western PA
Does anyone have a picture of the optional blower for a buck stove model 51. I have an older model from the mid 90's, and I can't find any information on adding a blower. Buck has the blower motor listed on their website for $90, and the whole assembly listed at $180. I need the whole unit, but there is no picture of it. I don't even know where it attaches. I know it goes on the bottom left, and I have read that the insert does not need to be removed to install it, but was wondering if anyone could give me more information on it. How much more heat can I expect to get out of the stove with a blower? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I have the 51 stove. It was an insert that I converted over to a freestanding stove. The blower just mounts under the ashlip and the a sheet metal trim covers it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. Does your model have an ashpan under it? Mine does not. Is there a big difference in heat output between the fan running and not running?

Attachments

• 20141231_150224.jpg
    20141231_150224.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 463
Blowers generally pull a bunch of heat off the stove from what I've seen. I don't know if the 51 is double-layered to the extent of the 91, where just about the entire stove is surrounded by air space that the blower uses. My Dutchwest just has air space on the back and top but the blower still gets a lot of heat off it. I can recover house temp a lot quicker using the blower. I think the blower will grab some additional heat off the stove instead of it going up the flue. The blower will enhance the convective loop of heat distribution around the house; It pulls cool air in off the floor from across the house and that air is replaced by heated air from the stove room.

Thanks for the photo. Does your model have an ashpan under it? Mine does not. Is there a big difference in heat output between the fan running and not running?
There is a huge! difference. It's a little noisy at certain RPMs, but not unbearable.

This would be a must for me, especially with an insert!

Status
Not open for further replies.