blower or fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Have and Englander 30NCL but was wondering....can I just put a fan in back of the stove instead of buying the blower or would that be unsafe or inefficient?

The cost of the stove fans is very very high, like 10x the price of a "fan". This alone has made many people give it a try. In the end though they end up buying the stove blower because the fans never seem to move enough air. I just gave up after a regular fan didn't make much difference.

Both!

Someone had installed a fan in the wall just above the old stove and I never thought it helped at all so it was never used. The new stove I got came with the blower. There is NO DOUBT that this blower will help, tremendously! I'm cheap and probably would have passed on one if it didn't come with the stove. GET THE BLOWER.

uh, anyone would be crazy not to get the actual stove blower. period

Lots of people must be crazy then. There are even some folks claiming to not need a blower on an insert! I hate the noise of these blowers but like the concept of more hot air to travel away from the stove room vs. radiant heat. Too bad there isn't a cheap and proper fan available for our stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.