Blowers with vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treemoss

Sep 1, 2013
LI NY
Has anyone ever try to set up there blower on the back of their stove with duct pipe to go into the ceiling through the floor upstairs to push hot air into the second-story room. Are there any risks about hot air blowing up or fire ambers going up there. Also will it work with approximately 10 feet to the end of the Vent to blow the hot Air into that room.

That would violate code for sure. A floor register with a fusible link damper is an approved alternative.

I put a vent grill in my ceiling it goes up through the floor to where the baseboard heat pipe goes up to the upstairs I have no duct just a vent. The upstairs floor has nothing the hot air just goes up through the hole where the hot water pipe for the baseboard heat goes thru. I just don't think I get enough heat upstairs that's why I thought about the vent with the blower. This is the vent that i have in my ceiling and is this the damper you think I should have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 82
It takes a decent sized register to convect a lot of air. I would go with a 12x14" grille and fire damper. The fire dampers you show are overkill. Here are some lower cost dampers and grilles.
http://www.atlantasupply.com/swscri...O_@&MDL=12AH*&JCAT=12AH&REQUEST_ID=QCSTLST_AS

Have you tried placing a fan at the top of the stairs (on the floor), blowing downward? That may help pull more heat up through the register.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions but the upstairs room is closed off to my house. It is a dormer where my mother lives so i can only access it from the outside. I don't think I would want to have a huge hole like that in my ceiling it will sort of stand out. maybe I'll just leave it the way it is and hope it helps heating it in the dead of winter. But do you think if I have the blower on high blowing hot air up to the ceiling it will blow the air better through the vent. I just don't know if it's worth spending 250 dollars for a blower for my stove if it's not going to help to go through the vent for upstairs. I definitely don't need the blower for my house my house is a nice comfortable 78° With three splits.

Not a hole, there would be a between the joist grille and register upstairs. A large ceiling grille is common with built in AC systems.

To keep it simple, I'd put in an electric heater for the room. That will cost much less than a blower.

Not a hole, there would be a between the joist grille and register upstairs. A large ceiling grille is common with built in AC systems.

To keep it simple, I'd put in an electric heater for the room. That will cost much less than a blower.

I do have one of those fake fireplaces up there that pushes out good heat. just wanted to save on the electric. I will tell her to start useing it more often. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.