Q&A Blue Flame on new Gas Logs - Fixable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a Hargrove Select natural gas log set from a local dealer and had it installed. However, the logs give off an unattractive and unnatural blue flame at all gas settings, as opposed to the yellow flame emitted by the dealer's display model. The installer told me that this was completely out of his control, and was a result of some property of our home's natural gas (though he couldn't explain what exactly this might be). Since he couldn't/wouldn't explain beyond "just the way your gas is" I got the feeling he was not being completely forthright with me, especially since the gas log set I have in another room has no problem emitting a yellow flame with my home's natural gas. Does anyone know whether something can be adjusted to achieve a natural looking yellow flame, and whether this might be a product or installation defect, rather than some mysterious and unpredictable characteristic of our home's natural gas supply?

Answer:

Most log sets and stoves(unvented excluded) do have a way to adjust the air/gas mixture so as the make the flame turn yellower.

Contact the manufacturer or look closely in the manual to see if your unit has such an adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.