Blue Ridge Mountain Stoveworks insert blower motor problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blueridgebob

Feb 8, 2022
Painesville, Ohio
The blower motor recently started to only run at low speed and does not respond to the variable speed switch. I don’t know if the problem is with the motor or the other electrical components used in the blower motor system. Is there a way to identify what components are defective?

I believe if you take the rheostat out of the system, & put power to the blower, it will run on high. The rheostat should only LOWER the voltage. That test should tell you which one is hinky. (Technical term.)

I believe if you take the rheostat out of the system, & put power to the blower, it will run on high. The rheostat should only LOWER the voltage. That test should tell you which one is hinky. (Technical term.)
Thank you for the information and quick reply. I'll try that and see what happens. Also, I noticed some type of a sensor wired into the circuit. Do you know what that is?

Likely the switch. The motor only knows if it is getting power or not and varies speed by the input from the switch. If it works at low it should work at all speeds. Snap disks can be jumped to rule that out as an issue as well. Usually they are on or off so if voltage is going in and out it's probably good.

Likely the switch. The motor only knows if it is getting power or not and varies speed by the input from the switch. If it works at low it should work at all speeds. Snap disks can be jumped to rule that out as an issue as well. Usually they are on or off so if voltage is going in and out it's probably good.
Thank you. What is the purpose of Snap Disk?

Thank you. What is the purpose of Snap Disk?
It's an on/off thermostat. Insures the fan comes on as the stove reaches temps and goes off when it drops. Discs will have numbers on them that indicate operating temps. Some have an operating range but I think most wood stove have like a single 120-ish degree point. It will send power to the fan at 120 and stay on until the temp drops below 120.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAKSY
It's an on/off thermostat. Insures the fan comes on as the stove reaches temps and goes off when it drops. Discs will have numbers on them that indicate operating temps. Some have an operating range but I think most wood stove have like a single 120-ish degree point. It will send power to the fan at 120 and stay on until the temp drops below 120.
Thanks for the explanation , much appreciated