Boiler change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
A few of you know, I recently, like last Sunday evening, switched out my econoburn 100 for a polar G2+, I liked the econoburn no doubt but the polar has been a hands down no comparison improvement. I actually kept my 1500 gallons of storage online, I set it up as the load from the boiler, it is currently only set at a 15 degree differential due to the warmer temps we've been having, on the plus side I was able to turn my DHW temp up a bit and have been running my house 4 degrees warmer and have used less wood than I would have even with the econoburn tweaked to the max. There are some settings that I'd like to play with yet but so far I'm super impressed, I've even just played around using crappie wood or fresh split, just to try before y'all flame me, it has handled it all well, the fresh split did throw a little haze of smoke so clearly, as we all know, not the best. Heat out has blown mind as well as the ease of using it. Most of you know I can't leave things alone, I tore the thing apart a lot, it was a used unit, just to see how it was built, super simple and well thought out, cudous the guys at polar. Fire away, y'all have flamed me and commended me before so I'm open, I just wanted to get my piece started as promised in an earlier thread

Hi Cumminstinkerer
I have been looking forward to this thread
The video above doesn't mention cleaning the flue tubes or removing the turbulators for cleaning.How is that designed?
Thanks

Hi Cumminstinkerer
I have been looking forward to this thread
The video above doesn't mention cleaning the flue tubes or removing the turbulators for cleaning.How is that designed?
Thanks
There’s a video on YouTube that shows the turbulator design. Of all of the OWB’s I looked at recently, it’s by far the best design. If I remember correctly you take a panel on the roof and they pull straight out. @Case1030 can probably point you to the video.

@cumminstinkerer congrats on the purchase. Polar makes a really nice boiler.

I think this is the video @sloeffle is referring to.

There is a quick comparison between the CB Edge and a Polar side by side. Without a turbulator sweep the CB has to be manually cleaned every few week to maintain efficiency.

With the Polar they recommend 1 year cleaning by removing the turbulators and doing a sweep with the supplied HX brush.

I'm into my second heating season with my Polar, and all I have is light brown fly ash. Turbulators move just as free as day one. My flu temps are around 250-280f and ice on my chimney cap in the cold weather. I don't plan on brushing the tubes as I don't see a reason to with that low of stack temps.

There have been times I never touched the Easy Sweep handle for a week at a time without any issues.

20211112_160717.jpg 20210911_130019.jpg 20220219_151931.jpg

Last edited:
cumminstinkerer When I read the title boiler change out I thought maybe you bought that few year old Garn that was for sale on facebook a few months ago east of you LOL. Good to hear you a got a new to you boiler and its taking less wood to do your heat load. I have made it threw this winter with out anymore cracked welds on my Garn. I hope it keeps holding up. Its been a pretty mild winter over here I am probably down three cord from a normal year at this point and time. Keep us posted on the Polar. They look to be a well built boiler. Where did you find a used one?

Reactions: sloeffle
@hedge wood I got it through @Case1030 working on becoming a dealer myself, it has been a kick ass boiler so far, came close to it getting smashed up sunday night, big limb fell out of an oak and slid down the garage and the rear of the boiler, all I can see is a few minor scratches on it. The limb was dead so I cut it and split the big chunks and they were the heat to charge storage storage up last night.

@salecker I haven't cleaned the tubes yet, I've been in and looked them over but they were pretty clean and I was in a hurry to install and test while it was still cold, I plan on cleaning them in a couple weeks, I did pull the fan one day just to have a look, it was really easy to do but very dirty, I cleaned it good and am getting cleaner burns, I am with case1030 as far as the tubes, my flue temps are running in the mid to high 200's so i'm not worried.