Boiler Coil Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a better one. Bradford-White 40 gal, EF93.

Man-O-Man, what a difference taking a bath or shower! Don't have to fiddle with the knobs as much, I am in and out of that shower in no time, as the pressure is better being located right under the bathroom. Like having instant HW.
I like to take a tub bath once a week. Used to take quite a while to get enough hot water, especially in the winter with a cold tub. Turn water on, wait for boiler to kick on, turn off while waiting to recover, then turn back on. I could read a whole magazine article waiting. Now, I have a hot bath ready as soon as I get out of my duds.

Been there. Bathed my two little kids like that for 6 years.. showers sucked...tanks are awesome.

UPDATE: Hurrah, no leaks!!::-) And no oil being burned...;)

What is your water source, city or well? Are you runing a water softner?

You should develope a good pm schedule for you new water heater, draining / flushing any sediment on a regular basis. Sediment in the bottom corners of the tank is probably the largest cause of them coroding out over time, especially if you have hard, acidic or any other things in your water.

I grew up in south central PA, just outside York. Parents had a well with acidic water that liked to eat copper pipes. A Culligan lime tank neutralized that problem. That lasted 30 yrs or so. They now have a new version followed up by a softner.

If your oil boiler had a hard time making hot water and you conserve water anyway, it's DHW coil could be partially clogged with scale buildup. My Burnham will make constant DHW, as long as there is oil in the tank, but it also "leaks" a lot of wasted heat up the flue.

What is your water source, city or well? Are you runing a water softner?

You should develope a good pm schedule for you new water heater, draining / flushing any sediment on a regular basis. Sediment in the bottom corners of the tank is probably the largest cause of them coroding out over time, especially if you have hard, acidic or any other things in your water.

I grew up in south central PA, just outside York. Parents had a well with acidic water that liked to eat copper pipes. A Culligan lime tank neutralized that problem. That lasted 30 yrs or so. They now have a new version followed up by a softner.

If your oil boiler had a hard time making hot water and you conserve water anyway, it's DHW coil could be partially clogged with scale buildup. My Burnham will make constant DHW, as long as there is oil in the tank, but it also "leaks" a lot of wasted heat up the flue.

I know what you mean. I am right below and to the west of where you grew up, we have some rough water. Well water, neutralizer, softener, AND sediment filter that has to be changed out once a month.

I always drained water heaters, even when I lived in Baltimore. Here, I even drain off the bottom of the pressure tank twice a year. I have no doubt that there is scale on the coil, and probably that last few yards that is still copper leading to the kitchen, that is why the pressure sucks there.

Now if I can just get my nephew-in-law to give me a price, I can decide when to take the plunge with the heating system. I have a quarter of a tank of oil left, but at least I won't be wasting it on stand-by water!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.