boiler rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barkeater6

Feb 21, 2021
upstate ny
boiler firebox rust, does it come from the fire side or the water side? or both. Im replacing a Orlan 40 that is down to 2mm and it got a hole. I bought it used at 6-7 years for almost nothing so Im not out all that much. Pressureized system.

Could come from either. With a closed pressurized system I would guess more apt to be fire side. Does and did this boiler use storage? And return temp protection? That could be tip of the iceberg, could be swiss cheese just about to emerge.

Reactions: salecker
Could come from either. With a closed pressurized system I would guess more apt to be fire side. Does and did this boiler use storage? And return temp protection? That could be tip of the iceberg, could be swiss cheese just about to emerge.
boiler did not use storage, although my massive about of concrete slabs, I believe, act a bit like storage. I suspect it was well rotted when I got it at 6-7 years old. Yes it used return line temp protection and it worked, for both previous owner and me. Im purchasing a new Biomass 40 Combo and hope it will be my last. I did put anti freeze in during the 2.5 years I had it maybe thats not good. thanks for your input.