Boiler shed R Value for insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a nice looking setup.

The double doors are for easier wood supply?

Como said:
That is a nice looking setup.

The double doors are for easier wood supply?

Thanks, Yeah I wanted something bigger than a 36" door to bring in wood.

The 12X16 will be sealed off from rest of the building. Thought about a roll up, but I wanted something that would seal a little better. My water line comes into the shed in the boiler room so I want to be able to easily heat building if I want to go on Vacation. Hoping to use a small electric heater to maintain temps above freezing for times away.

gg

Could you post some pictures of the inside? Look like your well on you way to having a real nice set up. Do you guys worry about the concrete floor temps? It seems like the floor should be designed like a floor with radiant in it so it doesnt soak up the heat in the boiler room?

BHetrick10 said:
This might be a little off topic but, are these building you guys are talking about housing an indoor boiler outside? If so sounds interesting. You could get a proven boiler at a great price, spend some money on a building and be able to leave in the winter and not worry about things freezing.

If this is what you guys are doing I have some more questions.......

Fire away! (pun intended). I have an indoor unit in an outbuilding. Others have them indoors. You loose some btu's with the waste heat in the outbuilding and the underground piping but it is a tradeoff. We had a house fire in the 80's that destroyed our house while we were sleeping. No one was hurt, not even the goldfish (which a fireman who liked fish saved). It was an electrical appliance fault but none the less we don't like the smell of smoke in the house. It also keeps all of the mess outside, along with any potential pests. My tradeoff. I'll just burn some more wood tomake up for the losses. I have plenty of wood.

BHetrick10 said:
It seems like the floor should be designed like a floor with radiant in it so it doesnt soak up the heat in the boiler room?

I used left over ICF forms for my shed foundation - 2 inches of styrofoam inside and outside of the foundation, Turned edge slab so there is 2 inches of foam on the outside. Otherwise, didn't worry about it. The boiler is not hot to the touch (well insulated). The piping and pump between the boiler and the underground give off some heat, as well at the flue pipe. Remember, there is a lot of cold makeup air going into the boiler room for the boiler. I am think of putting in a cat door for the outside cats so they can have a nice warm place to sleep. They already climb up into the attic.

So the boilers you guys re using do not have a fresh are intake from out side? They simply suck the air in like a traditional boiler? We have a shelled corn burning furnace at my parents house. I have a 3" fresh air intake from outside. It doesnt suck any air in from the house.

Why are you guys using inside boilers outside vs outdoor boilers?

Are they...

less expensive?
more efficient?
Better warranty?
Better customer support?

Sorry for hi jacking the thread....Should I start a new one? I posted here because I figured the people that are posting here would have the answers.

Looking at the install above a well insulate 12x16 is not going to consume that much heat to stop it freezing.

Sort of begs the question about air supply, wood stoves sometime are installed with their own air supply to stop conditioned air being used. Perhaps it is not abig enough deal to worry about it with Boilers?

BHetrick10 said:
So the boilers you guys re using do not have a fresh are intake from out side? They simply suck the air in like a traditional boiler? We have a shelled corn burning furnace at my parents house. I have a 3" fresh air intake from outside. It doesnt suck any air in from the house.

Why are you guys using inside boilers outside vs outdoor boilers?

Are they...

less expensive?
more efficient?
Better warranty?
Better customer support?

Sorry for hi jacking the thread....Should I start a new one? I posted here because I figured the people that are posting here would have the answers.

The Garn has an external supply, but still needs some air from the area. Others might, I do not remember any that do?

Inside means that they need to be in a structure. If you take the whole market then most boilers need to be in a structure. I have a Rinnai, mine is indoors but they do one you can fit externally, my guess is that most sold are for internal use.

Reasons to put them outside the main building.

Space, especially if it is not a new build.
Mess, keeps it out.
Proximity to fuel supply. Much easier to move the hot water to the building than the wood.
Smoke, probably not a major issue as most are gassers.
Location, if you have several buildings to heat you can put it centrally

I ma sure there are some more I have not thought about, I will be using part of the space as a summer work area and hope at some point to add Solar HW to the roof.

BHetrick10 said:
Could you post some pictures of the inside? Look like your well on you way to having a real nice set up. Do you guys worry about the concrete floor temps? It seems like the floor should be designed like a floor with radiant in it so it doesnt soak up the heat in the boiler room?

When things slow down I will post some inside pictures. Need to keep moving to get this install complete.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.