Boiler/storage calculator link?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I swear a few years back I when I was looking at gassers I found a calculator that allowed you to plug in your max boiler output, size of storage, max and minimum temps of storage, and design heat loss of your home. Once you plugged all of this in, it would tell you how much wood you'd have to burn for how long to get however many hours of heat out of your system. I think it was actually a manufacturer's website, but I'll be damned if I could find it now. I'm starting to look seriously at the Empyre Elite 100 with the electric backup for my remodel and I want to play around with the numbers to see how much storage it would take to get the least amount of fires per week. One of the selling points to the wife on this has to be why it will be more convenient than our current setup of a forced air furnace with add on wood furnace.

I made a excel spread sheet that calculates what I need to burn to recharge storage. I also have one that I made on the iPhone.

I enter top and bottom storage temps, Target storage temp, current boiler temp, It calculates pounds to target.

I can also factor in hours of burn, and average heat load per hour. I know the load pretty well just by outside temp. This will calculate the additional wood consumed during the burn to satisfy the heat load.

If you want it pm me your email address.

gg

Reactions: Coal Reaper
Status
Not open for further replies.