Boiler System - Radiant Heat Knowledge Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
I have an old farm house with a propane boiler (and an old coal boiler, American Standard, that is unhooked in the basement). The house has a new two story addition. There are four zones in the house - 2 baseboard loops for the old first and second stories and 2 in-floor zones for the new addition.

We are having control issues where sometimes the boiler runs excessively even when no thermostat is calling for heat. Or heat is being sent to zones where it isn't needed (like where our woodstove is installed) or heat isn't running/pumping when it's called for.

How and where can I learn what I need to know and how to troubleshoot the control components, system, etc.?

I don't even know what exactly each component is or if the system is even set up correctly, I'm very green in this area...

You might be better off calling in a boiler person, if you can find a decent one. For one thing, it can be a lot to learn about all at once for the 'uninitiated'. For another thing, most systems have their little differences and seeing things in person is usually way easier to figure out, than trying to do it over the internet.

Do a ton of reading on here (start with the stickies), and if you could post up pictures of everything you can take pictures of, you should be able to get some help on what does what.

Are you new to the house? Know the system history?

While its commendable that you want to fix and trouble shoot and save money in the process I think I would call in a professional the first time around and pick his brains and take notes...there will not be any savings if you screw it up....

I have a mixed system RFH/BB like you. There are so many moving parts and more than one way to control RFH temps.

I gotta stand with the others and say you need a pro to get started on this problem.

You might be better off calling in a boiler person, if you can find a decent one. For one thing, it can be a lot to learn about all at once for the 'uninitiated'. For another thing, most systems have their little differences and seeing things in person is usually way easier to figure out, than trying to do it over the internet.

Do a ton of reading on here (start with the stickies), and if you could post up pictures of everything you can take pictures of, you should be able to get some help on what does what.

Are you new to the house? Know the system history?

We've been here for a little over 5 years. It's been quirky but hasn't ever failed to heat, it just seems inefficient. I've been trying to find a good, knowledgeable person - but I have to say it's been really tough. We had a plumber out and asked him some questions and I could tell he didn't really have the experience needed and couldn't answer questions well. I have friends who area contractors and not a single one could recommend a good plumber for radiant heating.

I will map out the system, start taking pictures, and try to slowly add posts here. And I will definitely keep asking around for a reference on a good pro. I would be more than happy to get someone over here to evaluate the system and tell me what needs to be done.

Do you have a plumbing & heating supply place anywhere close? They might have a recommendation. I would emphasize the heating part & not the plumbing part - although that might get you an HVAC guy that doesn't know hot water systems. Weird how some areas have like no hot water heating installs or experience.

Were are you at more precisely? I'm near stevens point, and hydronics my main gig, Primarily solid fuel heating, with some solar thrown in. post some photos and we'll see what you have going on.

karl

Reactions: maple1
Were are you at more precisely? I'm near stevens point, and hydronics my main gig, Primarily solid fuel heating, with some solar thrown in. post some photos and we'll see what you have going on.

karl

I live by Menomonie. I will work on the pics and the system map. Thanks Karl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally found a really good plumber and he was able to come out and explain the entire system and get it working pretty good. Turns out all my zone valves were malfunctioning one way or another (switches, motors). We have three zones running on 180 degree water or so and then they used a water heater to control the slab heat at about 130F, so the water heater thermostat controls when the slab valve opens and call for heat. An excellent day, learned a ton!!

I finally found a really good plumber and he was able to come out and explain the entire system and get it working pretty good. Turns out all my zone valves were malfunctioning one way or another (switches, motors). We have three zones running on 180 degree water or so and then they used a water heater to control the slab heat at about 130F, so the water heater thermostat controls when the slab valve opens and call for heat. An excellent day, learned a ton!!
Thats great news man! Glad you got it lined out!

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
Now that you have things figured out, start labeling things. What they are called and what they should do and when. In a few years it will be nice to have easy to read notes in the system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk