"Boom" house burned down. :'(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom

Feb 16, 2010
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Not to worry you our stoves are safe but my nick here was prophetic.

I hope I have been a helpful member of this forum and thank all of you for your help also. Due to the current state of my stove I may drift away for a few years before getting another.

A few weeks ago I started a fire in my beloved Harman Advance and sat with my laptop for the evening. I hear a number of booms and some loud voices outside so figured someone was having a party or fight in the neighborhood. Went out on my deck to check and saw this across my driveway:
Tweaker Fire.png
Well, instead of getting valuables such as ID & substantial cash in an envelope, I went out and fought the fire returning only for flashlight my neighbor asked for. They foolishly went into their home and had to jump causing some time in the hospital for one. I saved one rental home next door before the fire department arrived but they decided not to protect my home.

Apparently some new renters of a small home once owned by actor Vic Perrin and next door to the Moon's (aunt & uncle of Buzz Aldren who taught me how to catch lizards in my youth), were cooking "marijuana shake" into hash oil with lots of butane bottles. She ran out screaming "It's going to blow!" He ran out in boxers and smashed his truck window to get some package that she ran off with leaving the fire for us. After bandaging a few burns he also ran off. :mad: They have been caught which does not help me. :(

I am fine yet lost all personal possessions except iPhone including my Harman Advance:
HarmanAdvance Toasted.png
With my new found freedom from responsibility I may buy a motorcycle & travel a spell to see Europe for the first time. :)

I have often felt members of this forum were sitting by the fire with me while we shared our enjoyment, knowledge & questions of pellet stoves and fuel. I may rebuild in a couple years if insurance covers building with at least two fireplaces.

Until Then I may check this thread to keep my 'membership' with my friends here,
Jay A. Babchuk here as Boom!

Wow Jay that is some "adventure". As sorry as I am to hear, I am even more glad to hear your health and outlook sounding intact.

Best wishes!
- Jeff

Jay, I am glad you are alright. I hope you can get back on your feet real soon. You have my thoughts and prayers.

Good to hear your in good spirits after such a traumatic experience. Sorry about your stove:-(

So sorry for your terrible loss. :(

damn Jay, that's pretty much as lousy as it gets , glad you are ok, sad that you lost your possessions, but "life" is the most valuable possession of all.

be well my friend, hope to see you "on board" again soon.

Sorry for your loss Jay. It looks like it could be a national epidemic.

From the Tacoma News Tribune.

A Puyallup man charged with exploding a marijuana drug lab outside his home told police he was working for a local medical marijuana company, according to court documents.

Seth Cleek, 20, pleaded not guilty Thursday to unlawful manufacturing of a controlled substance and first-degree reckless burning.

Although police detained four people after Tuesday’s explosion, Pierce County prosecutors only charged Cleek.

Cleek claimed to work for a business that sells edibles to medical marijuana patients. He said his boss taught him how to extract hash oil from marijuana and would regularly bring the pot and butane lighter fluid canisters necessary for the process to the Puyallup house where Cleek lived with nine others.

Cleek was paid $10 per tube and the business sold the oil for $25 to $75 per gram, according to charging papers.

The business owner could not immediately be reached for comment.

Police and firefighters were called to the house Tuesday night after a loud explosion destroyed a pop-up canopy in front of the home where Cleek allegedly extracted the hash oil.

Several smaller explosions followed as hundreds of butane canisters blew up and were propelled up to 100 feet from the house. The blaze damaged the home and destroyed the canopy and a car parked in the driveway.

Nobody was injured.

Police said they found a pile of marijuana, empty butane bottles and other items used in the extraction process scattered around the home.

Even if Cleek was working for a business licensed to sell medical marijuana, prosecutors said his actions were illegal.

“Alcohol is legal but that doesn't mean you can set up a commercial moonshine operation in your home. Marijuana is legal but that doesn’t mean you can set up a THC manufacture in your home,” Prosecutors Mark Lindquist said.

Lindquist said more people could be charged in the future.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/...n-charged-in-marijuana.html?sp=/99/289/&ihp=1

Attachments

• 000.jpeg
    000.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 266
Omg. That is terrible. I am so sorry for you and your family

like everyone else has already said, sorry for your loss but glad you are fine. good luck.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately the idiots that did this will be at it again in another location. If you're stupid enough to try this sort of thing, you're stupid enough to not learn from your mistakes.

So was it the timber that carried the fire to your home? Houses really close? Explosions?

I'd like to think that the neighbors would only burn themselves down if they decided to do something like this.

Sounds fishy to me.....potheads!

Status
Not open for further replies.