Bosca Spirit 500 Troubleshooting Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymrat0663

Feb 2, 2012
South Central Pennsylvania
I was cleaning my stove today and opened the sides to check fans as I had purchased it used. The convection fan was full of dust bunnies so I set out to disconnect the fan so I could vacuum it out. My stupid move of the day was I did not unplug the stove and touched the temp switch which caused a spark and fried the fuse. I figured that was an easy fix and purchased another fuse only to insert it and find that the fuse blew again.

The manual says that this temp switch is a "manual reset required" switch. Is this my problem? Does this switch need to be manually reset and if so, does anyone know how I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

The temp switch or hi limit switch reads that it is shorted . Would this be my problem? I do not see how to perform a manual reset of said switch.

Any thoughts?

gymrat0663 said:
The temp switch or hi limit switch reads that it is shorted . Would this be my problem? I do not see how to perform a manual reset of said switch.

Any thoughts?

How did you figure the high temp is shorted?

They are normally closed (As in reading 0 ohms when the meter is attached across the switch) and open on rise.

You could have fried all sorts of things that leave the control board damaged and blowing as many fuses as you stick into the stove.

What hit what and is anything in the area of the contact that is scorched or otherwise discolored?

Careful with the fuses. They usually are 250V rated and the 125V usually don't last. Get the proper fuse for the unit. Match it with the old fuse number.

Pushing the high limit shouldn't have shorted anything. The switch is normally closed and because you pushed it unplugged? I don't think thats possible. Very little stored voltage in these. Only takes seconds to bleed the power once unplugged.

Something else could be shorting inside it.

Oops bears on it. Sorry bear!

Thanks for the replies. All is well. The original fuse fried and being half blind, I read the fuse rather than the manual and got a .5 amp fuse to replace it. I even had my fifteen year old son look at it to make sure I was reading it correctly. Well, there was a period, but it was not a decimal point in front of the five.

I put the proper fuse in the stove and we are back in business. My lesson learned - unplug the stove moron!! :bug:

Also, I did pull the control board as well to see if I noted any burnt components, etc. and it looked good.

One last thing if anyone can help out. I learned the hard way today that there is no one in my area that deals with Bosca. Does anyone know where I can purchase some replacement parts to have them on hand and what parts do you suggest so that I will not be caught with my pants down should a real situation arise and not a self-inflicted "you've got to be kidding me" moment? :-S

Thanks in advance for any input you may have! I really appreciate this forum!

Steve

If you can post information from both blower motors (manufacturer's plate information), auger motor, you already have discovered the fuse situation, then things like gasket thickness, type and length, type temperature points, and dimensions of the snap discs, followed by the wc information on the vacuum switch.

We can point you towards replacement equivalents.

Unfortunately you'll likely have to get a spare controller from the stove maker (unless there is detailed information in the installation or technical manual).

gymrat0663 said:
Thanks for the replies. All is well. The original fuse fried and being half blind, I read the fuse rather than the manual and got a .5 amp fuse to replace it. I even had my fifteen year old son look at it to make sure I was reading it correctly. Well, there was a period, but it was not a decimal point in front of the five.

I put the proper fuse in the stove and we are back in business. My lesson learned - unplug the stove moron!! :bug:

Also, I did pull the control board as well to see if I noted any burnt components, etc. and it looked good.

One last thing if anyone can help out. I learned the hard way today that there is no one in my area that deals with Bosca. Does anyone know where I can purchase some replacement parts to have them on hand and what parts do you suggest so that I will not be caught with my pants down should a real situation arise and not a self-inflicted "you've got to be kidding me" moment? :-S

Thanks in advance for any input you may have! I really appreciate this forum!

Steve
many of the parts are very easy to get. They are all common parts used in 80 percent of other pellet stoves. I would pick up a igniter but other than that I would wait. Maintenance is the key, keep it clean and it will keep you warm

Thanks Smokey. I will work on pulling that information together.

You should look into a service repair manual as a quick guide for your stove you maybe able to download one online i did tell alll specs and how to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.