Bought a 30-Ton NorthStar Splitter with Honda GX160

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
So I just bought a 30T NorthStar with the Honda GX160. So far, absolutely love it. Price tag was about $600 more than the Huskee 22-ton I was looking at at TSC, but the engineering, features, power, engine, etc are all significantly improved.

My question is this: I think I read somewhere that the Honda GX160 engine has a small alternator built into it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this and whether or not I could attach a work light to my splitter (not that I intend on splitting at night, but woudln't mind better light back in the woods when it's getting to be late afternoon.

I'm not an engine guy, but with some instruction could probably find my way around this if it was possible.

Thanks in advance.

derecskey said:
So I just bought a 30T NorthStar with the Honda GX160. So far, absolutely love it. Price tag was about $600 more than the Huskee 22-ton I was looking at at TSC, but the engineering, features, power, engine, etc are all significantly improved.

My question is this: I think I read somewhere that the Honda GX160 engine has a small alternator built into it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this and whether or not I could attach a work light to my splitter (not that I intend on splitting at night, but woudln't mind better light back in the woods when it's getting to be late afternoon.

I'm not an engine guy, but with some instruction could probably find my way around this if it was possible.

Thanks in advance.
Na not unless its electric start

derecskey said:

Thanks in advance.

What was the assembly like any problems, can 1 person assemble, or will it turn into an all-night kegger?

Wacky1 said:
What was the assembly like any problems, can 1 person assemble, or will it turn into an all-night kegger?

No assembly required. Bought it from a "real" dealer... a local Amish dealer called Ray's Repair. Not a big box. He had it assembled and road ready. All fluids and a little gas too. I-beam pre-greased.

Status
Not open for further replies.