Bought Two Log Splitters both Duds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowjoe

Mar 10, 2008
southern Indiana
Yes you read right, I bought a new 13 Hp splitter, got it home put oil in the engine, gas in the tank, an five gallons of hyd. fluid in it. started the engine electric start. ran the ram or wedge out one time,an hyd. oil squirted out the cylinder. it kept coming out each cycle of the cylinder arm. I called placI bought it, they said they would email the company in Wisconsin an get back to me, that was Sat. Monday I called the company an after half a day of calling ,finally got someone who would talk to me. he sugested I take it 130 miles to there repair center, I said I dont think so. then I recieved a call from a lawn mower dealer about 25 miles away , they told me to bring the log splitter to them ,that a replacement cylinder was being shipped to them . so I hooked it up to my jeep took the backroads under 45 miles per hour there an dropped it off. two days later they call me saying the replacement cylinder was leaking also.they said the company told them to send both cylinders back to them,the dealer said NO, he would send just one back to them. So threw the snowy roads I go pick it up. Im so mad by now I do what I should have done the day I saw a problem. I took it back to Menards Lumber, the boy who worked there told me I would have to take all fluids out of it, I asked if I could do it in the garden area where the snow an wind wasn't blowing ,he said no, take it to the back of store ,so I went home got plastic containers. went back to Menards, picked up a suction pump in the store. went outside an hand siphoned the gas an hydralic fluid ,then drained the oil, all while snow was blowing, Im 60 years old an was on my back over one an half hours, finally half frozen ,went to return desk an told them TO get the manager, not no one else. OH i WAS TOLD BY THE BOY TO NOT SPILL ANY OIL on THE GROUND IN BACK OF STORE. that didnt happen. today im sick with head cold an fever. they tryed to pacify me with another log splitter just likethe first one..I was foolish enough to take it home, after I helped the boys unload it ,assemble the thing,then I had to go home an get my air tank,coz the tire was flat.they didnt have any thing that would work close .so finally I get this thing home .today I go buy again five gallons of hydralic fluid. put the old gas an crank case oil back in it, hooked up the batterie cables. turn it on ,ran arm out .WOW NO LEAK, then filled hyd. tank to specs. ran arm out couple more times ,cant believing it actually works,Im happy, I tell my wife to get her gloves ,were going to split some wood .we go outside turn machine on. I engage lever to move arm forward. Nothing Happens I level the machine again,turn it around do all kinds of things.Nothing ,I think the Hyd. pump is no good. I take it back to Menards. MY question is What should I do ,tell them to drop my credit card purchase of this junk an forget them. or see if they will get it fixed an try to use it again. IM afraid to use it,coz I think something else will break if I ever split a piece of wood with it. any responces would be welcome.

I would probably take it back for a full refund just because I would be totally p@#$$$.

Maybe on the second one the set screw on the coupling between engine and pump may not have been tightened and the pump isn't turning.

You could give Mark Ruppel the CEO of Ardisam that made the things a call at 715-822-2415 and ask him what he thinks about you ending up with two screwed up splitters.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Is it possible that there's a relief valve of some kind on the cylinder that you are not opening?

I know my electric splitter has one but I have never owned a large gas splitter so it's just a guess.

I took it back yesterday, an today menards callen me an said they don't make repairs, so I did what I should have done the first day ,told them to cancil my credit card order an cancil the credit card too. Im looking at different slitters now.Swisher makes one for Rural King supply, and I was told it is the same company that Sears uses for there log splitters,I heard some talk here about harbor freight selling one thats not to bad. I went there an they have one thats 5.5 hp an 22 ton , 2 stage hydr. for $800.00. has anyone on the forums had a harbor freight an did it work long or not. Thanks guys for the input.

cylinder seals need to be "engorged" in order to stop fluid bypass. It actually is not that uncommon to need a dozen or so full strokes to get this to happen.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I think you let Menards off too easy. They owed you something for your troubles. If you would have threatened to "sue for rescission", in small claims court. They would have been your new best friend. No company wants bad reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.