Boy is this winter a real sleeper...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mild winter here in mid-Maine as well . . . some snow coming tomorrow . . . but unless something changes very soon I will have to trailer north to go sledding this year.
It's been weird for my first Maine winter.

Are you getting a warranty replacement for your stove? What happened to your stove?
We have been discussing that in another thread. Door and stove body warped.
(Summers Heat 2400-sq ft 50-SHSSW02 Door Problems.)

Not really enjoying this winter yet. Actually saw a couple bugs creep out in the outbuilding during the warm weather this past weekend. Bring on the cold.

Daffodils now 6-7" tall with fat yellow buds. Hyacinths are popping up too.

It hit 40's in northern Wisconsin and the mosquitos were out. Seen this one flying around while out cutting wood

mes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vinny11950
November really started out like we were in for a long winter. The long range forecasts were for warmer and wetter winter and once we got into December it was warmer and definitely wetter to the point where the 3 foot snow pack in November was getting pretty patchy around the end of December. Sometime around April I will look back and see how the rest of the winter went but I have give up on predicting. The coldest part of the year the last two weeks of January are coming up soon and if I can avoid the stretches of 3 or 4 days not going over 0F I will appreciate it.

I have 6 above now and it will be around that for the rest of today but starting tomorrow we will be back up to near freezing or over it a bit for the next 10 days according to the forecast. I hope we don’t get rain again like we had on Monday but the resorts and bars/restaurants up here sure would like to see more snow soon.

It hit 40's in northern Wisconsin and the mosquitos were out. Seen this one flying around while out cutting wood

View attachment 237740
THats some cold weather mosquito there. Out in the snow. Im glad they at least wait until spring around here.

Winter has been warm so far down here in the Dells too. Like you, we finally had some cooler temps the past couple days. Starting a fire or two a day gets old! ;lol

Yeah, full cords. I dont use any gas to heat tho, my furnace isnt even turned on so a fire has been going pretty much 24/7 since the beginning of Nov.
I load the stove once before bed and once before work during the week. The weekends i use more wood cause i usually leave the air wide open and toss a log or two on throughout the day just to keep the fire going which seems to use more wood. I'll probably end up burning til april.

wow, that's a lot of wood for this mild winter! I've been burning on/off since middle of October and normally burn till the end of April. Have not used 5 cord yet in a winter heating a very inefficient 32,000 CUBIC foot log cabin style house (25' ceilings w/ loft). We too don't use LP at all, only when we go out of town. I think I'm up to 1.8 cord now for the winter.

Granted I'm in SE Wisconsin, it is mid January and I haven't used my snowblower yet! I don't snowblow unless there is 3 or 4" due to 1000 gravel drive. I've shoveled my hill that is paved a time or two and we've had a nasty ice storm, but really this is pretty nice.

High temp next 5 days is high 20s low 30s , low temps in the teens ,which is average for this time of year, so winter returns.

Granted I'm in SE Wisconsin, it is mid January and I haven't used my snowblower yet! I don't snowblow unless there is 3 or 4" due to 1000 gravel drive. I've shoveled my hill that is paved a time or two and we've had a nasty ice storm, but really this is pretty nice.
I just moved from a place with a long gravel driveway and when I used a snow blower on it I would pack the snow down with the ATV and the truck so it would make a nice hardpack and hopefully it would stay cold all winter long to keep it that way. Then when I used the snow blower on the driveway it didn’t pick up any rocks and break shear bolts all the time.

So far not one snowstorm up here this winter either. I’m hoping we get a a good dumping soon so I can try out the new skid steer in some snow and for the tourist dependent businesses in town and on the lakes. It’s 14 out.... just right for now.

I just moved from a place with a long gravel driveway and when I used a snow blower on it I would pack the snow down with the ATV and the truck so it would make a nice hardpack and hopefully it would stay cold all winter long to keep it that way. Then when I used the snow blower on the driveway it didn’t pick up any rocks and break shear bolts all the time.

So far not one snowstorm up here this winter either. I’m hoping we get a a good dumping soon so I can try out the new skid steer in some snow and for the tourist dependent businesses in town and on the lakes. It’s 14 out.... just right for now.

I raise up the skid shoes by shimming 2 duracermic tiles under the blade, I will get some rocks but it's not bad. Then lower to 1 duraceramic tile for the asphalt section. I've got a 30" ariens platinum and I believe it could take in a frozen cat and shoot it out 50ft, only had one shear bolt broken when my father-in-law was under the influence and probably did something dumb.

My folks in Hayward are also worried about tourism due to no snow.

I raise up the skid shoes by shimming 2 duracermic tiles under the blade, I will get some rocks but it's not bad. Then lower to 1 duraceramic tile for the asphalt section. I've got a 30" ariens platinum and I believe it could take in a frozen cat and shoot it out 50ft, only had one shear bolt broken when my father-in-law was under the influence and probably did something dumb.

My folks in Hayward are also worried about tourism due to no snow.
Yep I’m in Winter not far from Hayward.