Boycott Wood Pellets this Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel better I think it was around .55 when I started buying my own in 1984
I don't remember what it was in 1987, but both gasoline and oil were cheap.

I checked one of my electric bills the other day and the total was $90.00, half of which was made up of transmission costs, universal fees, federal this, state that, etc.

My bill is $69.90 for the last month - energy charge of 35.80 - the rest are various fees that are raised/lower depending upon energy consumption. Here is the actual breakdown of charges per KWH:

0.041 distribution charge
0.018 transmission charge
0.001 Stranded cost recovery
0.003 Systems benefits charge
0.105 energy charge

Oh, and just to be a customer costs me 12.50/month.

Since I used 339 KWHs this month, my actual rate came out to $0.206 / KWH.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Winter of 03-04 paid 87 cents for fuel oil and corn was under $2 and off peak electric was 4 cents with a connect fee of $8 a month now $25

Last edited:
Um CT has one of the highest prices for electricity in the nation, look at your bill eversource charges a $99 delivery charge. Your base bill is over $100, I would not focus on the kilowatt charge.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a

Only Hawaii is higher than Ct
Mass is higher too but not by much. They passed CT in 2015 for all but the Industrial market. The regulators in CT probably won't like that and will be looking to take back their #1 spot next year.
If you generate power with renewable energy, the Mass REC (renewable energy credits) market is one of the most difficult to get into - and the most valuable. The requirements are the most stringent in the country. That's also related to why the costs are so high.

I finished doing the numbers comparing #2 fuel oil use vs. pellets & oil this week. Thought others may be interested in this info..

Usage:

We burned 265 gallons of fuel oil from 9/1/2014 through 12/21/2014, the "official" start date of the pellet stove here.
(The house temperature, measured at floor, was an average of 62 degrees during this period.)

We burned 205 gallons of fuel oil from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2015.
(The house temperature, measured at floor, was an average of 64 degrees during this period.)

We burned 2.4 tons, or 120 bags of pellets from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2014. This calculates to 1.6 lbs / hr, or 28 lbs / day. This exactly matches our stove settings with use of approx. 17 hours per day.

Using degree day calculations to determine K-Factor, I estimate we saved burning an additional 392 gallons of fuel oil with wood pellets vs. fuel oil only.

Cost:

We paid $7.00 per bag of pellets this season (340 / ton), and were fortunate that a local fuel station was selling premium-grade Clean Fire Pacific pellets at this price.

Our fuel oil costs, fixed by the supplier, were $2.56 per gallon.

Comparing fuel oil costs only vs. combined wood pellets & fuel oil cost, I estimate we saved $163.52 , vs. fuel oil only use.

Our electricity cost increased due to use of the pellet stove. It is difficult to determine the (exact) cost increase, due to use of additional warm-mist humidifiers, and an overhead ceiling (paddle) fan to circulate heat from the stove during the winter months. * An estimate of $40.00 / month seems to be in the ball-park of electricity use / month for the pellet stove.

With electricity usage estimated at $210.00 for the time period, total costs incurred using the pellet stove from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2015 is: $46.48

--

Observations:

For the cost of a night out for dinner, our home was an average of 5 degrees warmer in the main living space, due to the ability to close off non-use rooms as needed.

Purchasing pellets by the ton will offset / negate the cost of increased electricity use for the 2015-16 season.

Cold air infiltration at floor level was apparent during the winter months: previously the forced hot air furnace would be cycling several times an hour, negating the effect. The forced hot air furnace was cycling, on average, every 75 minutes to prevent pipe freeze in the unfinished crawl space below the first floor when using the pellet stove, maintaining the crawl space at 38 degrees farenheit.

We are installing an OAK currently, and plan on retro-fitting / installing automatic dampeners in the cold air return duct work, to open only when the furnace is cycling, before the 2015-16 heating season begins.

Compared to Sept - Dec. 2014, our health was improved using the pellet stove. Whether this was due to the constant heat provided by the stove vs. the usual "hot/cold" cycling of the furnace w/ oil-only heat, the "calming warmth" factor of burning wood again, or the increased physical activity associated, I cannot say. I think all of these played a role in decreasing stress, and improving our health this past winter.

Conclusion:

It's a no-brainer for us: we are fully invested in the pellet stove, my family is comfortable in operating and maintaining the stove, we will be burning pellets for the foreseeable future.

Regards,
Robert

I finished doing the numbers comparing #2 fuel oil use vs. pellets & oil this week. Thought others may be interested in this info..

Usage:

We burned 265 gallons of fuel oil from 9/1/2014 through 12/21/2014, the "official" start date of the pellet stove here.
(The house temperature, measured at floor, was an average of 62 degrees during this period.)

We burned 205 gallons of fuel oil from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2015.
(The house temperature, measured at floor, was an average of 64 degrees during this period.)

We burned 2.4 tons, or 120 bags of pellets from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2014. This calculates to 1.6 lbs / hr, or 28 lbs / day. This exactly matches our stove settings with use of approx. 17 hours per day.

Using degree day calculations to determine K-Factor, I estimate we saved burning an additional 392 gallons of fuel oil with wood pellets vs. fuel oil only.

Cost:

We paid $7.00 per bag of pellets this season (340 / ton), and were fortunate that a local fuel station was selling premium-grade Clean Fire Pacific pellets at this price.

Our fuel oil costs, fixed by the supplier, were $2.56 per gallon.

Comparing fuel oil costs only vs. combined wood pellets & fuel oil cost, I estimate we saved $163.52 , vs. fuel oil only use.

Our electricity cost increased due to use of the pellet stove. It is difficult to determine the (exact) cost increase, due to use of additional warm-mist humidifiers, and an overhead ceiling (paddle) fan to circulate heat from the stove during the winter months. * An estimate of $40.00 / month seems to be in the ball-park of electricity use / month for the pellet stove.

With electricity usage estimated at $210.00 for the time period, total costs incurred using the pellet stove from 12/21/2014 through 6/1/2015 is: $46.48

--

Observations:

For the cost of a night out for dinner, our home was an average of 5 degrees warmer in the main living space, due to the ability to close off non-use rooms as needed.

Purchasing pellets by the ton will offset / negate the cost of increased electricity use for the 2015-16 season.

Cold air infiltration at floor level was apparent during the winter months: previously the forced hot air furnace would be cycling several times an hour, negating the effect. The forced hot air furnace was cycling, on average, every 75 minutes to prevent pipe freeze in the unfinished crawl space below the first floor when using the pellet stove, maintaining the crawl space at 38 degrees farenheit.

We are installing an OAK currently, and plan on retro-fitting / installing automatic dampeners in the cold air return duct work, to open only when the furnace is cycling, before the 2015-16 heating season begins.

Compared to Sept - Dec. 2014, our health was improved using the pellet stove. Whether this was due to the constant heat provided by the stove vs. the usual "hot/cold" cycling of the furnace w/ oil-only heat, the "calming warmth" factor of burning wood again, or the increased physical activity associated, I cannot say. I think all of these played a role in decreasing stress, and improving our health this past winter.

Conclusion:

It's a no-brainer for us: we are fully invested in the pellet stove, my family is comfortable in operating and maintaining the stove, we will be burning pellets for the foreseeable future.

Regards,
Robert

Agree...
steady pellet heat 24/7 as opposed to on/baseboard heat off/ cooldown/ rinse.lather,repeat..keeping temps in the mid 60's to save oil. forget it..
with pellets it's steady 73-74....
people complain about pellet costs and yet spend way more in a year on fancy Starbucks drinks that last maybe 30 minutes 5 days a week....;lol

In the old days there were only stoves and fireplaces. Then central heating came out and most everyone install one , wonder why if stoves were so great.

Reactions: Ashful
In the old days there were only stoves and fireplaces. Then central heating came out and most everyone install one , wonder why if stoves were so great.
You mean you can't understand why a person would rather turn a little dial on the wall,
as opposed to going out in the woods to cut down a bunch of trees, drag them out,
cut them up, split them, stack them, go out in the cold to chuck them in the house, get up at 4:00am
to put more wood in the stove?

I think I can...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Peterfield
Dont load directly from the bags. Either scoop the pellets out or transfer them into a bucket for easy pouring.

We put a nice dark brown plastic Rubbermaid 32 gallon barrel just off to the side of the P43. Holds 4 bags. Got a plastic feed scoop from Tractor Supply, loads them into the hopper just fine. Also helps to to reduce the fines in the stove cause they just filter to the bottom of the barrel as you empty the bags and as you scoop them out.

With what electric rates jumped to around these parts last winter spending $1200 for 4 tons of pellets to keep the house (1500 sq ft, 2 stories) at 70 vs the $3000+ the electric baseboard heat would have cost (and the house at 65), so glad we made the buy for the P43 in 2013.

Wife works for the Community Action agency in Rockingham County. She said the number of people who got blindsided by giant electric bills last winter and had to come in for heating and electrical assistance money was 3-4 times higher than in the past when it's been mainly oil users.

Sam

Reactions: karen_in_nh_2014

Why did they all buy cars and trucks after they were invented if horses and mules were so great.

Reactions: smwilliamson
"In the old days, things were made locally by talented men who knew their craft. Then they started making everything in China, wonder why if Made in USA was so great."

Change isn't always forward progress.

At $300/ton, I'm still heating with pellets. $100 bucks in nothing to me. The nickle and dimers should be cutting, stacking and burning hardwood. NOT doing that is priceless to me.

Agree...
steady pellet heat 24/7 as opposed to on/baseboard heat off/ cooldown/ rinse.lather,repeat..keeping temps in the mid 60's to save oil. forget it..
with pellets it's steady 73-74....

I think you hit the nail on the head Tony, if I had to choose a reason for better health post-install, not having to worry about conserving oil, as an only source of heat, was a -huge- stress reliever this season.

re: Starbucks, laughing because we're the "Cumberland Farms for 99 cents" variety here, w/ two daughters in college, but it's cool: different strokes for different folks - visiting Starbucks seems like forever ago here.

Like the start of last winter, still a "newbie", feel like a veteran though. :)

I think you hit the nail on the head Tony, if I had to choose a reason for better health post-install, not having to worry about conserving oil, as an only source of heat, was a -huge- stress reliever this season.

re: Starbucks, laughing because we're the "Cumberland Farms for 99 cents" variety here, w/ two daughters in college, but it's cool: different strokes for different folks - visiting Starbucks seems like forever ago here.

Like the start of last winter, still a "newbie", feel like a veteran though. :)

Cumbie's coffee for me too - although I usually brew my own. don't remember the last time I got coffee from DD, and that was way before the last time I even stepped into a SB's (that was probably several years ago). I did however stop at a DD for a break and a cinnamon roll last weekend when I was out riding ;)

Reactions: CleanFire
My bill is $69.90 for the last month - energy charge of 35.80 - the rest are various fees that are raised/lower depending upon energy consumption. Here is the actual breakdown of charges per KWH:

0.041 distribution charge
0.018 transmission charge
0.001 Stranded cost recovery
0.003 Systems benefits charge
0.105 energy charge

Oh, and just to be a customer costs me 12.50/month.

Since I used 339 KWHs this month, my actual rate came out to $0.206 / KWH.
How the heck you only use 338kwh in a month?, i can use that in a week if the A/C is running

How the heck you only use 338kwh in a month?, i can use that in a week if the A/C is running

No AC, live by myself, fairly early to bed (so less use of lights) and have a small house. 338k is probably about the least I use - didn't use any power tools or fans for air flow this month. Also have town water, so no pump (last place had a pump so the electric use was a bit higher).

On another note, power company just got permission to raise rates for recovery costs . . .

I did however stop at a DD for a break and a cinnamon roll last weekend when I was out riding ;)

Nice.. So now I'm craving a DD cinnamon roll, Thanks a lot for that, bogieb. :p

Hope your summer is going well, w/ cool rides, and safe travels!

Reactions: bogieb
Nice.. So now I'm craving a DD cinnamon roll, Thanks a lot for that, bogieb. :p

Hope your summer is going well, w/ cool rides, and safe travels!

Just got back from a quick trip to see a friend near Utica, NY. Left about 9:30 AM yesterday morning, and got back at 3 PM today. Put on a total of 453 miles (only 60 miles was highway - and that was coming home).

AND, to keep this pellet stove related - I have the Harman going downstairs and just pulled out some sweet potatoes that I cooked in it. It is drying my riding gear and warming up the basement (some leakage to main floor - has gotten up to 69 in my office - colder in bedroom). Actually, will probably start up the main floor stove tonight.

Reactions: CleanFire
With the price of wood pellets up from $200 to over $280 a ton and the price of fuel oil down to $2.39 a gallon, I am thinking of boycotting buying Wood Pellets this year.

The price for wood pellets in Germany is $290/ton for American made wood pellets. Something is not right. Its not right to sell America's wood pellets to Europe at some ridiculous low price before shipment and then turn around and charge Americans high prices. This is not right.

Time for me to rethink wood pellets as a heat source.
yeah i agree i have propane price caped at 1.79 a gal and im looking at corn to burn with the wood pellets being so high

First time poster here, although I have read on this forum for some time. After reading this thread I feel pretty fortunate to live where I do. We have the big dam in the neighborhood. After seeing what some are paying for electric, I checked my bill. After all taxes and surcharges, my December bill came to $.059 per kWh. I used 2151 kWh and the bill came to $127.44. It's foolish to not take advantage of some form of electric heat in this area.

I haven't been on here all year. No need to in as much as the appliance has been dormant and cold since last spring and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

My propane supplier started at 89 cents a gallon delivered, I filled all 3 500 gallon bottles and valved off 2. Been running on one. I'm on just my second fill now and the delivered price was 98 cents, still way below the break cost of pellets, Propane would have to be at $1.45 / gallon to break with pellets in our local market. Because I can run mixed biomass (corn or pellets or a combination of both), I priced feed corn delivered in my bulk tanks at it too was above the break price.....

From what I read in the Biofuel Industry magazine, pellet producers are making a killing offshoring processed wood pellets anyway and domestic, for home use is a very small percentage of total output with most processors geared for larger industrial pellet production anyway.

I had 20 bags left from last year, I gave them to my neighbor who's central furnace died and she's running pellets (at a loss I might add). Suggested to he to ger her furnace repaired and get back on propane.

The caverns in Detroit and Sarnia are full of propane and I don't see the pice exceeding the threshold for a while.

My wife (and I) are spoiled by just setting the t'stat and waking up to a warm house. I run a setback t'stat and reduce the home temperature to 55 night, 68 during the day and I run propane in the shop as well but thats PEX in floor heat.

Really, not a cold winter and really, in essence, much cheaper to run propane than a solid fuel. Less messy too.

I like a cozy fire but I also like the extra cash in my pocket for other things like firearms....

You folks have a great winter and I'll stay on propane and probably will next year as well. I don't see the PPG getting anywhere near $1.45 / gallon for a long while.... and who knows where processed pellets will go, probably up like everything else.....

Status
Not open for further replies.