Brand New Harman P68 and auger won't work in test mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzieosgood

Sep 28, 2014
Western Mass
I have tried everything. Set stove up, vented properly, ran through instructions and setting for start up and put in test mode. Auger has not started at all. Double checked vetting, air intake, removed all pellets from hopper, checked auger, all doors were shut tight. removed vent from back of stove no problems found. I noticed the stove they sold me does not have the pin on top of the pellet hopper, so i don't know if this is a much older stove or was not installed and could be part of the problem. Just curious is there way to know when the stove was manufactured by the serial number on it? Any advice on troubleshooting?

Last edited:
just by the serial number alone I don't believe so, you can take it and call it in to Harman tech and they can tell you how old it is, however I think most harmans on the same data plate as the serial number on the back of the stove have a month and year manufactured marked on them. As far as troubleshooting, it does depend on how old the stove is what the easiest thing to do is. new stoves with never control boards you should be able to turn it on test mode and have all three motors turn on, which include the auger motor. If the auger motor doesn't turn on but the dist. blower and exhaust blower turn on then turn it out of test mode, if the dist blower turns off but the exhaust blower wont turn off unless you unplug the stove you have a vacuum issue, if your stove has an older control board the exhaust blower with turn off regardless of wether the stove thinks you have vacuum or not.

Get In touch with your dealer I'm sure he'll get you sqared away quickly. Sorry to hear your having a problem with your new stove new products can be more problematic than a used proven one. Once your get things working you'll love that stove

just by the serial number alone I don't believe so, you can take it and call it in to Harman tech and they can tell you how old it is, however I think most harmans on the same data plate as the serial number on the back of the stove have a month and year manufactured marked on them. As far as troubleshooting, it does depend on how old the stove is what the easiest thing to do is. new stoves with never control boards you should be able to turn it on test mode and have all three motors turn on, which include the auger motor. If the auger motor doesn't turn on but the dist. blower and exhaust blower turn on then turn it out of test mode, if the dist blower turns off but the exhaust blower wont turn off unless you unplug the stove you have a vacuum issue, if your stove has an older control board the exhaust blower with turn off regardless of wether the stove thinks you have vacuum or not.
Thanks. The dealer is not open until Tue, but I tried test mode, distribution and combustion blower light are on. After taking out of test mode, feed rate set to 5, distribution blower light goes off and combustion blower light is still on (for an hour at this point and blower still running). I disconnected the vent pipe and exhaust blower (Venting out) is still running. When you say I have a vacuum issue is it usually created from venting out or air intake issue. Doors are all shut tight, and I do not have the sensor pin on hopper door on right rear of pellet bin. Stove is marked as April 2014 for mfg date. Any other tips to try until I can speak with dealer on Tue? I'm sure it is a simple issue. Other controls are on constant burn and manual start, I've also tried rearranging this as well with no luck. Temp dial set at 80, house is about 68 degrees.

A vacuum issue is an air intake issue, too much of it meaning there is an air leak into the combustion chamber. This is usually caused by bad door seals.
If your confident the doors are all sealing tightly (including the hopper) you could check that the fines cover is installed correctly. If that does not resolve the issue there could be problems with the low pressure switch.

If the feed motor light comes on (starting the stove) but the auger motor does not, this indicates a wiring /motor issue or auger jam.

Reactions: Bioburner
I have tried everything. Set stove up, vented properly, ran through instructions and setting for start up and put in test mode. Auger has not started at all. Double checked vetting, air intake, removed all pellets from hopper, checked auger, all doors were shut tight. removed vent from back of stove no problems found. I noticed the stove they sold me does not have the pin on top of the pellet hopper, so i don't know if this is a much older stove or was not installed and could be part of the problem. Just curious is there way to know when the stove was manufactured by the serial number on it? Any advice on troubleshooting?

I'm confused about the pin on top of hopper. Is there just a hole there? If you are talking about the switch kind of thing that you flip up to open the hopper, that would be a problem. It has to be there. Can you take a picture of what it looks like?

I'm confused about the pin on top of hopper. Is there just a hole there? If you are talking about the switch kind of thing that you flip up to open the hopper, that would be a problem. It has to be there. Can you take a picture of what it looks like?
Same here unless in 2014 they changed the design. But if that switch is not in place otherwise the stove won't run. My P61a has the switch and its a 2013. Lets ask another question, are there wires leading to the switch location ? They would be inside the hopper.

The schematic in the user manual does not show a hopper switch. Upon checking my XXV manual it too does not show a switch but there is one. hmmm...

A vacuum issue is an air intake issue, too much of it meaning there is an air leak into the combustion chamber. This is usually caused by bad door seals.
If your confident the doors are all sealing tightly (including the hopper) you could check that the fines cover is installed correctly. If that does not resolve the issue there could be problems with the low pressure switch.

If the feed motor light comes on (starting the stove) but the auger motor does not, this indicates a wiring /motor issue or auger jam.

It seems the doors are sealed tight, the fines is installed correctly. The feed motor light and the auger motor light do not come on at all.
I can test to see if there are any leaks I suppose with the old candle trick.

would it make a difference if I completely disconnect the exhaust venting, just to rule out that as a problem?

I have a knob that you open hopper bin with with, and a latch, but the other stoves I saw had a silver pin that censored when the hopper was open, I don't have that. I thought that was a feature for most stoves now.

There is no wiring in the hopper.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 20140929_181150.jpg
    20140929_181150.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 588
  • 20140929_181206.jpg
    20140929_181206.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 393
It shouldn't be this complicated. Doesn't look like your hopper lid is missing anything. If all doors are closed, it could be a bad feed motor, or faulty pressure switch. I think you're going to have to wait for the dealer to take a look at it.

I would be on the phone with the dealer 1st thing in the morning I feel bad for ya but atleast if he gets it fixed by the weekend weather will be too warm to use it til then on the plus side.

If this is a new stove, you are fully covered by your warranty which includes service. Give your dealer a call and they should be able to sort it out...not that it isnt fun to speculate, but you should get your service in before the temperature makes them ultra busy.

Other controls are on constant burn and manual start,

Thanks. The dealer is not open until Tue, but I tried test mode, distribution and combustion blower light are on. After taking out of test mode, feed rate set to 5, distribution blower light goes off and combustion blower light is still on (for an hour at this point and blower still running). I disconnected the vent pipe and exhaust blower (Venting out) is still running. When you say I have a vacuum issue is it usually created from venting out or air intake issue.

Well you should want to have it in auto start not manual start to get it going, unless you actually do want to try to light it by hand, in manual light mode the auger and igniter wont work. however you do have a newer stove with a newer control board which is nice. The test mode leaves the exhaust blower running until it gets vacuum. makes troubleshooting over the phone easier and you know when you have found and fixed the problem of a vacuum leak because the blower shuts off, no need to guess of have a multi meter hooked up or anything, quick and simple and effective. This information may not help this time as the dealer should come out and fix it but it is good information for a Harman owner to know.

You definitely have a quirky issue but if you say the combustion blower runs for an hour after trying test mode and the stove is cold, you definitely have some type of issue that is telling the CB to keep the blower running. Let the dealer help you out.

Agreed. Get the dealer involved. There are more tests to help trouble shoot the issue but at this point is it Tuesday and worth having them take a look.

Did you contact the dealer? What did they find?

Did you contact the dealer? What did they find?

Well, mystery solved. I had the 2 technicians out here for 45 min troubleshooting everything, and initially they said it was my venting, and I knew it wasn't because I had cleaned it completely a week before. Finally one of them had shut the ash pan door and got airflow working when his forearm was across the top of ash pan door, come to find out it was a P43 door on a P68 stove. Needless to say there was a huge venting issue. Apparently this was a first for them, they couldn't believe it, and how it got out of the factory like that I don't know.

Thanks for everyones input!

Stove up and running, and ready for winter.

Wow well you won't have to ever worry about having to fix that problem again.enjoy your new stove glad to hear ur up and running

Would like to hear the excuse for that issue!:) How would we be able to figure out that issue or anyone via phone? Glad your in heat mode now though.

Would like to hear the excuse for that issue!:) How would we be able to figure out that issue or anyone via phone? Glad your in heat mode now though.
Lol yeah that would be tough to fix over the phone

Reactions: Mr. Spock
I had a very similar issue, but I had the correct door on my stove =P. In my case the vaccum tubing that goes to the pressure switch cracked and i had the exact same indicators otherwise. Replaced the tube and was back in business.

That's a first for me maybe this forum as well. Sound like a bit of of luck kept your stove from being replaced entirely.
Good to hear your ready for the cold. Come back and share your burn experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.