Brand new stove - PE Summit Insert - what size splits for N/S?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BetterCallMaul

Feb 9, 2017
North Wales, PA
Hi,
Just got my brand new stove installed yesterday - a PE Summit insert.

The manual says 20" max, 18" recommended size splits. However, if I do N/S @ 18", it seems like it would be off the firebricks (picture below). I'm about to cut and split a bunch of rounds and I'm not sure if I should measure 16" or 18" if I mostly do N/S loading.

Help would be appreciated! Thanks! And don't worry, these rounds I'm cutting/splitting are for future years.

20170225_105203.jpg

I stick to 18" maximum for N/S, but have slipped in some longer ones burning E/W.

Reactions: BetterCallMaul
16" to 18" is best. Although the closer they are to the glass, the more they offgas against the glass and haze it up. 17" is optimal, as they fit inside and in front of the boost manifold. Cold starts are easier if the splits are propped up on the boost manifold some, as the air space below makes for good ignition to the bottom of the splits.

Last edited:
Just an heads up and alert:
--the stove front to edge of brick hearth dimension appears to be on the short side. With the raised hearth, embers etc will travel further than you think. Even with a ? fire resistant mat ? on top of berber carpet, I would caution all users of this stove to be on the alert for smoldering carpet while using the insert.

I think you'll find your stove like 16" logs, like Hogz said, you can go a little longer, but you'll fog your glass. +1 on your front clearance, be careful, coals love to roll, especially when pulling them forward.