Brand New vogelzang /us stove 5790 no pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mitchell777

Mar 13, 2021
NY
Just bought and installed and already doesn’t work! Powers on, checked safety switch, igniter warm but hasn’t shot one darn pellet into the burn pot. E4 comes up, is it possible that the auger can already be jammed? Hoping to get some feedback or ideas before taking it out. Had a woodstove the last 15 years and never one issue but decided to switch to pellet as I thought “less strenuous work” but I’m ready to throw this thing in the snow bank and bring the wood back in!

Check your hopper switch make sure the wires are plugged into the bottom two spades. If it is correct then try unplugging the two wire and connecting them together with a jumper wire or paper clip.

safety switch.jpg male spaded jumper wire.jpg

You could also try running the test mode pay attention to number 13.

Control Board Test VG5770 and the VG 5790

Version 1.3

Press and hold the mode button and temp arrow up simultaneously for approximately 3 seconds.

A number (1.3) will appears in the display. This will tell you the version control board you have. Press any button to move to the next step. Follow the below procedure:

1. SEGMENT LIGHT DISPLAY. PRESS ANY BUTTONJ TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

2. 8. FLASHES FROM LEFT TO RIGHT ON THE DISPLAY TESTING DISPLAY LIGHTS. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

3. THE BAR GRAPH LIGHTS WILL FLASH FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP. THEN IT WILL SWITCH TO THE RED LED ABOVE POWER OVER TO GREEN ABOVE POWER. THE DEGREE PUTTONS WILL LIGHT UP WITH FARENHEIGHT FIRST THWEN CALSIUS. TSTAT THEN MANUAL WILL LIGHT UP THE LIGHTS WILL BLINK IN THIS ORDER UNTIL YOU MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE.

4. TEST THE LIGHTS OF CONTROL PAD. ALL LED’s WILL LIGHT UP. THE DISPLAY WILL SHOW 8.8. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT.

5. S1 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK POWER BUTTON. PRESS POWER BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

6. S2 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK MODE BUTTON. PRESS MODE BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

7. S3 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK THE TEMPERATURE ARROW UP. PRESS THE TEMPERATURE ARROW UP TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

8. S4 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK THE TEMPERATURE ARROW DOWN. PRESS THE TEMPERATURE ARROW DOWN TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

9. S5 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CELSIUS/FARENHEIGHT BUTTON. PRESS THIS BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

10. DR APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. YOU WILL HEAR THE EXHAUST BLOWER RAMPING WITH THE DOOR SHUT, ON SOLID WITH THE DOOR OPEN. NO LIGHTS. PRESS ANYU BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

11. RF WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY ONLY IF THE LOW LIMIT IS BYPASSED OR NOT IN THE PROPER OPEN POSISTION. IF THE DISPLAY IS BLANK, THE LOW LIMIT IS OPEN (GOOD) ANF THE BLOWER WILL NOT COME ON. TO TEST THE ROOM BLOWER IF THE LIMIT SWITCH IS GOOD, YOU WILL HAVE TO BYPASS THE LOW LIMIT AND RERUN THE TEST. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

12. IG APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. NO LIGHTS. THE IGNITER SHOULD GET HOT. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE. (WILL NOT LIGHT IF THE HIGHER TEMPERATURE HAS TRIPPED).

13. AU APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. NO LIGHTS. THE AUGER WILL FEED PELLETS. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE. (IF AUGER DOES NOT TURN, CHECK HOPPER SWITCH).

14. THE DISPLAY WILL SHOW THE TEMPERATURE READ OUT OF THE THERMOSTAT WIRE. THIS SHOULD BE CLOSE TO THE AMBIENT ROOM TEMPERATURE. PRESS ANY BUTTON.

YOU HAVE NOW FINISHED THE TEST. THE DISPLAY WILL BE CLEAR WITH A RED LED LIT ABOVE THE POWER BUTTON.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlc1976
When it gets to the auger test part that’s when I’d be looking around good. If the auger motor itself spins (might be able to see it from the back) and the auger doesn’t then maybe the pin is sheared. You can also unplug the stove and remove the pellets to check for actual rotation.

The hopper switch will disable the auger when the door is open. I bypassed mine but I’m the only one here and I know better to stick my fingers down there. It makes it so much easier to load a bag of pellets because the fire won’t go out.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
You do have the power cord plugged into a quality surge protector like a Tripp-Lite Isobar don't you? No surge protector means you could have destroyed some part of the circuit board the first time you powered it up (stranger things have ocurred. Think I'd pull the side and back panels and insure all the connections are secure as well. Shipping units sometimes disconnects connections and with TSC, anything is possible, they handle everything pretty rough. Around here we refer to them as Tough Shitte Charlies. where most everything is eith scratched, dented or broken.

When it gets to the auger test part that’s when I’d be looking around good. If the auger motor itself spins (might be able to see it from the back) and the auger doesn’t then maybe the pin is sheared. You can also unplug the stove and remove the pellets to check for actual rotation.

The hopper switch will disable the auger when the door is open. I bypassed mine but I’m the only one here and I know better to stick my fingers down there. It makes it so much easier to load a bag of pellets because the fire won’t go out.

Far as I'm concerned ALL hopper switches are nothing more than an irrelevant add on with no useful purpose. All it does is limit the liability of a manufacturer in the remote case you lose a digit in the auger because you stuck it in there when it was rotating.