Englander igniter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigchevy79

Dec 27, 2022
Central NY
I have an Englander 25 PDVE that was given to me that has a bad igniter. I've already tested it with a ohms meter and get no reading and also ran the stove for 20 minutes and verified that the igniter doesn't get hot even after cleaning it.
Can I just light the stove manually every time or is there a safety sensor that will shut the stove down? This stove is for my garage, I guess it's my introductory experience with pellet stoves. I heat my house with a coal stove and eventually I will switch to a pellet stove for home heating so this will be a test to see how I like dealing with pellet stoves.
I've already put the stove into diagnostic mode to verify both augers and blowers work, but don't see a way to test the temp sensor on the back of the burn pot.

There is no reason why you can not light your stove manually if you want

Reactions: Mt Bob
I just got the fire going by lighting it manually but after about 10 minutes once it came out of startup mode it shut off showing code E2. Both augers were working, feeding pellets. I am wondering if it can sense that the igniter doesn't work or maybe the thermal sensor on the firebox is broken. These pellet stoves are way more complicated than my leisure line coal stove.

E2 should be the thermal sensor. Make sure it is plugged into the board, and the connection is tight. Also, remove it from the back, a screw holds it on, clean/sand it and the back of the stove, they corrode and make poor contact. A plugged up stove can give bad readings,also.

Reactions: ericofmaine
Success.... I took the sensor off and used sander paper on it and also on the mounting surface, put it back together and now it stays running. Thanks again.

For future reference, when you're in diagnostic mode, one of the display windows (don't remember which one) sow the status of the temp sensor. It will probably fluctuate, but will tell you if the board is reading it or not.

Eric

Reactions: Mt Bob