Break up Lava cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

katsmeow4810

Jan 28, 2017
Chico, CA
We have lava cap running at different depths on our property. Our front lawn gets "mushy" in the winter because the water does not percolate. Our property goes downhill and it is worse at the bottom of the hill - more like a marsh. I was wondering if there was some way to drill holes in the lava and then blast, so that the lava would crack and allow water to drain?

I was wondering if there was some way to drill holes in the lava and then blast,

DIY advice on dynamite blasting? This sounds like a stretch for the use of the Hearth.com, non-hearth advice forum.

Easier to put a swail or other drainage at the bottom of the property, diverting the water elsewhere

What's the depth? Only way I know of is irrigation tile. Blasting it doesn't seem like a good idea at 1st glance.

What's the depth? Only way I know of is irrigation tile. Blasting it doesn't seem like a good idea at 1st glance.
Hogs suggestion of a swale is spot on if there's not a place to divert to. Igneous rock is often associated with a heavy hard pan clay. Short of digging it out and replacing with gravel, sand, loam, it's not going to drain much at all (evaporation will exceed infiltration).

If you have an impermeable lense of material you only need to poke a drain hole in it. Water may be trapped under it! Or you may taint a water supply under it.

All of the above " may" work or you might spend time and money and get no where. If you want to do it right, get some bore samples and take them to county extension and ask how to get your soil to perc. You may even be able to just go ask without samples. They may already have a good method. They farm the heck out of your area so water is going some where

All of the above " may" work or you might spend time and money and get no where. If you want to do it right, get some bore samples and take them to county extension and ask how to get your soil to perc. You may even be able to just go ask without samples. They may already have a good method. They farm the heck out of your area so water is going some where

Don't go to the government asking how to make a wet area dry. They get real excited about "wetlands".