*Breaking the Rules* Do not try this at home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok all you hearth shop owners and workers...how do you vent multiple solid fuel units in to a single vent?

I know you aren't supposed to do it...I know, I know, I know.

For my shop I'm hoping to have 4 or 5 burn units (all pellet) and was thinking about T'ing them all into a single Class A chimney behind the wall. Ultimately I would only have 1 or two working at a time but I'm not sure my landlord wants me putting 6 penetrations through the roof and I have no exterior walls to work with.

What say you? I've seen it done. I have it done at my shop now, just curious what you folks have tried and what works and didn't work. Feel free to PM me if you have something to add but don't want it public.

Hello

The Windham NH Stove Shoppe has a separate flue or chimney for each and every wood, gas and pellet stove on display in that huge store. It probably cost a fortune but they make millions! ! ! LOL

I know, it's an impressive store.

I installed 23 stoves for a shop a couple years ago...the deal was they were going to give me all of the installs, so I cut my install price for the store for them in half and orchestrated the whole design of the shop, spent countless hours on the phone and in the shop consulting. That was a mistake. Installs from them since...0

Ok all you hearth shop owners and workers...how do you vent multiple solid fuel units in to a single vent?

I know you aren't supposed to do it...I know, I know, I know.

For my shop I'm hoping to have 4 or 5 burn units (all pellet) and was thinking about T'ing them all into a single Class A chimney behind the wall. Ultimately I would only have 1 or two working at a time but I'm not sure my landlord wants me putting 6 penetrations through the roof and I have no exterior walls to work with.

What say you? I've seen it done. I have it done at my shop now, just curious what you folks have tried and what works and didn't work. Feel free to PM me if you have something to add but don't want it public.

I`m a bit surprised "you" are trying to circumvent what might be a code or safety infraction Scott !
After all , it`s no secret you are an avid supporter of even more regulations in the industry .
This is akin to me having a pellet stove in my garage.
It looks like the shoe is on the other foot now. Place a smiley here.

I`m a bit surprised "you" are trying to circumvent what might be a code or safety infraction Scott ! I mean you wouldn

What would happen if the landlord's store burned down?

Im sure Scott was giving us the ole "hypothetical fer instance" here....

lol- giving Scott the benefit of the doubt here......he knows better

One big flue/shaft in the ceiling, with a large rain cap on it, inside the flue will be full of all the stove pipes... "One" roof penetration that way. Not really sure of an easier / probably legal method.

Possibly the local Nazi code enforcers would cut Scott some slack in the interest of nurturing business , but that might be construed as favoritism by some.
Plus allowing the local gestapo in the store or in on the idea might open a can of worms.
Personally I`d just do it myself if I felt it was a safe installation (if not totally legal) , say nothing to anyone ,and take my chances.

Possibly the local Nazi code enforcers would cut Scott some slack in the interest of nurturing business , but that might be construed as favoritism by some.
Plus allowing the local gestapo in the store or in on the idea might open a can of worms.
Personally I`d just do it myself if I felt it was a safe installation (if not totally legal) , say nothing to anyone ,and take my chances.

How about you leave your comments about Nazi/Gesatapo code enforcers at home. They're only trying to keep you alive.

Thanks guys....that's ok I'm tough, I can take it. Figures I'd get some surge on this. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but 20 something penetrations aint gonna happen. Maybe I'll just print out some photos of flames and stick it to the stove glass;)

General consensus is that it is OK to burn your own shop down but not one that you are renting and does not belong to you.

Why not get a store with outside walls? That would be cheaper and easier!

How about you leave your comments about Nazi/Gesatapo code enforcers at home. They're only trying to keep you alive.
What planet you live on?
Code enforcers/ inspectors take the job for pay and benefits( municipal insurance and pension) . And I might add , a few allow their authority to go to their heads. Of course someone has to do it but lets not make them out to be heroes.

Thanks guys....that's ok I'm tough, I can take it. Figures I'd get some surge on this. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but 20 something penetrations aint gonna happen. Maybe I'll just print out some photos of flames and stick it to the stove glass;)

If this thread doesn't bring back to mind the saying" winners find solutions to problems...losers find problems with solutions"
If it were me, I would set up a couple of my best "showing" stoves (ones that throw a lot of heat ) . as for venting , heck 4 - 4" pipes out the same hole in the roof is not a real big deal. put a tin cover over them all to make it pretty. How about using 1 - 4" vent pipe...and 1 different stove:rolleyes: changing stove model as you sell the "demonstrator " I can hear myself now saying " My boss is gonna be mad:mad: at me for taking this much$$$ off this stove "::-) you could also put a sign on the wall advertising " bla bla stove will be set up xx day!;)
besides too many stoves running = too much heat= uncomfortable customers= less sales

General consensus is that it is OK to burn your own shop down but not one that you are renting and does not belong to you.

Why not get a store with outside walls? That would be cheaper and easier!
Your right Don. Supposed I caved after a year and a half of looking for just the perfect spot. Outside wales are the least of my concern. The landlord said I can do whatever but I know people....as soon as I start hacking up the roof he'll start the become uneasy. The roof is only 3 years old.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Your right Don. Supposed I caved after a year and a half of looking for just the perfect spot. Outside wales are the least of my concern. The landlord said I can do whatever but I know people....as soon as I start hacking up the roof he'll start the become uneasy. The roof is only 3 years old.

not to mention the issues you'd have with rain leakage and that many penetrations!

Many dealers simply show a lot of units, but burn only a few.....no need to really burn them ALL is there?

not to mention the issues you'd have with rain leakage and that many penetrations!

Many dealers simply show a lot of units, but burn only a few.....no need to really burn them ALL is there?

Flat roofs are a big problem! When I was working my way through college, I worked at a Radio Shack store with a flat roof. Every time it rained we had to put plastic over the the racks in the isles so the cassette tapes and batteries would not get soaked! Scott, Did you talk to the previous renter of the store to find out all of it's problems as part of your research? Our store had no air conditioning in the summer time and it was a real sweat shop! Then the store alarm can be faulty and go off in the middle of the night! Then there is washing the floors and keeping the bathroom clean! That is the life of a shop keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.