Breckwell Big E backing up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clincoln007

Oct 11, 2014
mass
My stove is backing up ridiculously fast. Im thinking Inneed to pull the exhaust blower off to try and clean it, I never have, do I need a new gasket before I can do this? I have super high heat silicone I can use instead of it rips. Any ideas?

Best to get a new gasket. If you use the silicone, very difficult to get off later. When was the exhaust cleaned last? When was the last time you checked door gaskets? What else have you skipped on the seasonal cleaning? Checked to make sure air pressure switch line and probe are clear? Opened ash traps in fire box and cleaned? Some folks use a brush (dryer lint brush or similar) and set up a tube to their shop vac (drywall bag) to feed into the exhaust channels. Page 16 http://www.pelletking.com/Pellet-Stove-Manuals/Breckwell-BigE-Pellet-Stove-Manual.pdf

If a extreme cleaning doesn't do the trick, you could troubleshoot the proof of fire switch. Thinking it is cleaning that is needed though...

My stove is backing up ridiculously fast. Im thinking Inneed to pull the exhaust blower off to try and clean it, I never have, do I need a new gasket before I can do this? I have super high heat silicone I can use instead of it rips. Any ideas?
You can use the high heat silicone once but the next time you may not get the blower off. New gaskets are about $15 and well worth it.

I have had the stove for 2 years and never have taken the blowers off or cleaned them I dont know if rhe previous owner has, can taken them off amd cleaning them make a big difference?

Yes cleaning them can make a difference! Many stove issues are the result of ineffective or incomplete cleaning practices. Fly ash will collect on the blades making the fan work harder and shorten it's life span. It also collects in the chamber and internal exhaust pathways before the chamber so that the fan cannot push the exhaust and air borne fly ash out the vent efficiently. Fly ash is also an insulator so you will not get effective heat exchange... With it backing up as it is, it is only a matter of time before a hopper fire is the result.

Get the gasket and get cleaning but make sure the ash is cold if using a shop vac. Make sure you open the ash trap doors and get a dryer lint brush up in the cavity behind the back wall of the firebox to clean out fly ash. Clean around the heat exchangers ... I have to use a putty knife to pull compacted ash off the smoke shelf around the heat exchanger. Clean combustion and convection blowers at least once a year.

Tools you will need depend on your stove ... dryer lint brush, tube on shop vac, shop vac with drywall bag, paint brushes, small head toothbrush for the convection fan, putty knife, screw driver, hex wrench are the basics used here.

Compressed air can help but it is usually easier if you can get the stove or stove part outside to avoid large amounts of dust spread. Some folks also use the leaf blower trick on their vent but the dust cloud it creates can upset the neighbours! YMMV Have to disconnect the air switch tube before performing... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/leaf-blower-trick-equipment.157431/#post-2112011