Breckwell Big E No Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caric67

Jan 31, 2014
Reedsburg, WI
Hello!

I bought an older, used Breckwell Big E for $40, I know, buyer beware. The owner said it wouldn't feed pellets. I wasn't able to test it on site but I thought for $40, why not. It was in rough shape but I thought I could at least use it for parts since I already have a Big E and worst case I could scrap it...... I needed a new burn pot assembly in my current stove anyway and it does fit in my working stove. The first thing I did was clean it thoroughly. I am guessing a mouse had gotten into the stove as it was stored in an out building. The back chambers were stuffed full of ash and cat food. I hit the back wall with a rubber mallet, brushed and scraped the interior really well. It took quite a while with a leaf blower/vac to clear out the ash too after I cleaned the interior. I cleaned the auger chute and both blowers and checked the pressure switch tube, etc...... The control panel is in rough shape too. Some capacitors were bent over........

I was finally ready to start it up and see what the problem(s) were. I plugged it in and there is no power to the unit. So, where do I start to diagnose the power issue? The fuse on the control board looks good, but I didn't have a replacement. I will be getting new fuses tonight. But what other things should I be looking for? I am fairly mechanically inclined and I do have a multimeter. Anything else I should check or clean prior to startup?

Thank you!

I did visually inspect the wiring and there wasn't any obvious damage, but I know it wouldn't take much to cause an issue. I need to replace the fuse first. Would it help to unplug all the motors and try to isolate the control panel first after I replace the fuse? I don't want to throw parts at it unless necessary, especially with the cost of the control panel alone with not knowing what the issue(s) could be. My local Radio Shack said they could test the control panel. I will be testing all of the electrical components too, I just needed an idea of where to start.

Thanks again!

Do it however you are comfortable. Don't forget about the igniter. Personally, I would check the fuse with a VOM, and, if good, check for power.

I will check later tonight. Thanks again!
Well, I replaced the fuse and now I have power to the board, the old fuse looked good..... Anyway, the stove still won't start up. Took the board to my local Radio Shack and they showed where the board is cracked all the way through and there is also some layers of the board missing near where the crack is. My guess is partially mouse damage. My question, new board or send it out for repair, if it can even be fixed. A new board is $350+. Any thoughts? I am thinking a new board..... Thanks again!

Get a new board. Way too difficult to fix multi layer board. Not impossible, but not worth it. I would also consider wiring harness if you think Mouse Damage. Why fry new board? It's only 50 bucks.