Breckwell Big E noise big loud bang please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twentworth34

Mar 17, 2015
Mass
hey everyone I am brandy new here but I was using this site a couple times on older posts. I still have not figured this noise out its driving me nuts! I have a Breckwell big E with the small viewing wondow, there is no air intake kit on it, the piping goes straight out at same level as exit on stove about 2 1/2 feet through exterior wall and then 90 degrees up for about 3 1/2 feet the off set again another 2 ft around roof so basically in a z shape, convection fan has been replaced to new number, all bolts have been tightened, auger motor removed cleaned lubed etc, auger shaft also removed and all cleaned, hopper also all cleaned no debris. I am however using currently cheap pellets BUT i bought 5 different brands from hardwood, softwood, mix, longer, shorter you name it. Noise still present in all some make noise less then others. The pellets I am getting noise from a lot are labeled on bag are up to 1.5 inches in length. The stove i understand does not like them that long however as stated it does this even with better brands with shorter pellets. The noise FINALLy! It sounds like a BaNG!!! Not consistant cannot time it etc. only guesses i can have is auger is getting jammed on the occational longer pellets in all brands or maybe there is some piece of metal that is warped or something that when heated or cooled it pops. It is loud as loud can be. So loud I cant believe something has not broken. It will make you jump out of bed. Happens pretty often maybe every 4-10 minutes. Please help!!!!

I think it could be the auger bushings are worn and its hanging up. If you grab a hold of the auger motor see if there is excessive side play. The bushings are not to expensive maybe an hour work to change. If that not it I can't think what would cause such a loud sound.

I think it could be the auger bushings are worn and its hanging up. If you grab a hold of the auger motor see if there is excessive side play. The bushings are not to expensive maybe an hour work to change. If that not it I can't think what would cause such a loud sound.
Ya I could only guess its auger related. No issues in bushings. BUT! I think i found the issue fingers crossed i notice the pin that goes thru auger and auger motor had a slight bend in it so im think maybe its been catching if i happens to vibrate to just the right location upward or downward to grab the metal on hopper. It would explain how its not consistant. I bent the pin back straight and cut it much shorter and reinstalled it. Hopefully its fixed!! Thanks for the reply

Reactions: Lynn01010
Stop using long pellet's they burn terrible anyway on lower heat settings, shorter the better flame for me

Ya I was stupid and have been been getting my pellets every year from home dump. Some years they were ok but this year is greensupreme and i think they are TERRIBLE. I found a brand that I absolutely loved and burned super hot that were douglas fur. Only problem is 7-7.50 a bag :/. Still dont know if its worth the extra money and if I truly will use less. Absolute minimum in dec, jan, feb id be using 1 bag per stove (I run 2) thats 15 bucks a day to more like 25ish bc its over a bag a piece. That seems crazy high. Doesn't help my downstairs stove just wont push out the heat like the one upstairs just got too much money into it to wanna ditch it.

Welcome to the forum - hope you found your source of the noise:) What is your second stove? Breckwell also? Should go to your profile page and add your stove makes/models in the signature line to help us help you...

Keep us posted...

Welcome to the forum - hope you found your source of the noise:) What is your second stove? Breckwell also? Should go to your profile page and add your stove makes/models in the signature line to help us help you...

Keep us posted...
Ya I would say that that pin was the cause i still occationally get a little dong noise but thats very quiet in comparison and is probably the auger splitting these crappy longer pellets up. Night and day. My other stove is a danson made cheap charlie stove with a new acutron v control panel. That one needs help ive replaced everything on it at this point and just doesn't push out good btu's. Might make some mods this summer I will be sure to add and edit my profile once I figure it out lol thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.