Breckwell Big E problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jijh2009

Mar 26, 2015
East Coast
I just got a Breckwell Big E pellet stove and I'm ready to tie a chain to it and yank it out the wall. This was bought used at a local dealer shop and installed last Friday by a general contractor. It has 3" double wall pipe installed, comes out of the back of the stove with a 12" section of straight pipe to a 45 degree elbow, 12" section of straight pipe, though the outside (with thimble installed) to a clean-out tee, 3' straight pipe going up to a 90 degree elbow and then a cap at the end. All joints are sealed and some special sealant was placed at the back of the stove. It also has a fresh air vent hooked up with 2" flex pipe into 2" pvc pipe. From the first day of install, I haven't been able to use the stove properly. When I plug it in (to a GFCI surge protector) and press the on/off button, the stove will drop pellets into the basket and will light, but as soon as the blower comes on, the stove immediately shuts itself down and blinks on the "number 2" on the control panel. I have contacted the dealer where I got the pellet stove and they suggested trying another brand of pellets, which I have tried three different brands with no change. I have taken the stove apart five times and cleaned everything, replaced the door gasket (as suggested by the dealer), took off the sides to clean and it still won't run past the initial start-up. I have tried running it with the damper both closed and open and it still shuts off. I have no idea what could be causing this problem. Any advise is appreciated as I'm at my wits end with this thing.

Hello
Older stoves do not work on a GFCI outlet. Their wiring is not up to the latest standards.
A GFCI is not a surge protector
I suggest a
Tripp Lite Ultra Block Surge protector. The cheaper ones do not keep the circuit board from being fried. :)

So you just purchased this and you have not had a fire in it yet. However the dealer is suggesting that the reason the stove will not light is because of the pellets.

I agree with the above post remove the gfci first. If that does not work it is probably a loose wire. Either way the dealer is a jack wagon, and you will need a new dealer soon enough.

My first thought was the gfci too. Hopefully the fix is as easy as plugging into a regular outlet. you can worry about the UPS and/or surge protector after you have figured out the stove.

I also agree that the dealer / contractor combo is not good. The contractor should have fired up the stove after the install to prove it worked. The dealer should be contacting the contractor to see to the issue since it is a fresh install and has not worked properly yet.

+4 on GFCI that is a no go on that model. Although an Err2 is a vacuum issue, it can be giving a false #2 due to the GFCI. Once you get it off the GFCI if it is still giving a #2 you have a possible vacuum issue. Call into Breckwell at 800.750.2723. Pellets are not going to be the issue in this case.

Edit: I PM'd you some addtional info for when/if you have to call.

Thanks for the suggestions. I called a repair technician to look at it yesterday and he said to try different pellets that it sounded to him as if the pellets we are using isn't given a proper fire and therefore shutting down the stove. I should say that this was plugged directly into the wall and the repair guy suggested trying the surge protector to see if it made any difference in the way the stove ran. Obviously it didn't. It is now plugged back directly in the wall outlet.

The problem is the GFI doesn't like the sudden surge from the igniter rod being turned on. My Big E will do the same thing if I plug into a GFI outlet.

We worked on a BW P24 today with exactly the same problem, went through startup and when convection blower came on, #2 light would come on and flash, then shutdown. Cust had replaced exh blower, motherboard, door gasket already. We came in, cleaned out exh tubes and ash dumps, checked wiring, all looked good. Checked vac line and it had cracked at the stove body nipple, and the nipple itself had partly rusted out. Sealed around nipple, cut vac line back and replaced. Took the door off, cleaned the air wash, noted door didn't seem to close well. Someone had put 3/8 gasket, not 5/8 into the door, changed it out, started stove and she ran normally. It didn't have a lot of play in the door and the fact that only when convection blower came on the problem displayed itself, I thought it might have been the vac line or nipple rusting out. My next thing would have been bypassing the vac switch and checking draft at the vac switch, but forgot my meter... Anyway, got it fixed.

I spent all evening tearing this down and cleaning it again looking to see if I missed anything. I did not know that there are two small plates behind the firebox. Actually the screws weren't easy to see with the ash and soot build up on them until I gave the whole back side and bottom of the firebox a thorough cleaning tonight. I removed the plates and lo and behold these were full of ash. I cleaned them out as much as I could reach with my vacuum. Finished cleaning the back of the stove and sides. Put it all back together, plugged it in, turned it on and crossed my fingers that it would work. The stove lit and the blower kicked on. I finally got heat after a week of frustration. I don't know why neither the dealer, contractor or tech guy I called ever mentioned this before. Being a new owner to one of these, I didn't know about this little known place to clean. I cleaned everywhere else on the stove but behind these two small plates. I will definitely make sure to clean behind these two plates when I do my weekly cleaning. Thanks to everyone for their help and to Owen1508 for the pm. I kept the info if I should have any more problems with this stove.

Reactions: Owen1508
I spent all evening tearing this down and cleaning it again looking to see if I missed anything. I did not know that there are two small plates behind the firebox. Actually the screws weren't easy to see with the ash and soot build up on them until I gave the whole back side and bottom of the firebox a thorough cleaning tonight. I removed the plates and lo and behold these were full of ash. I cleaned them out as much as I could reach with my vacuum. Finished cleaning the back of the stove and sides. Put it all back together, plugged it in, turned it on and crossed my fingers that it would work. The stove lit and the blower kicked on. I finally got heat after a week of frustration. I don't know why neither the dealer, contractor or tech guy I called ever mentioned this before. Being a new owner to one of these, I didn't know about this little known place to clean. I cleaned everywhere else on the stove but behind these two small plates. I will definitely make sure to clean behind these two plates when I do my weekly cleaning. Thanks to everyone for their help and to Owen1508 for the pm. I kept the info if I should have any more problems with this stove.

Well, this is just sad. You just got the stove a week ago and it is full of ash behind the ash trap doors. That is on the dealer as he should have actually cleaned the stove before selling it, much less installing it.

Another thing I love is how everyone (dealer and repair person) are blaming pellets even after you have switched out pellets a couple of times. Although pellets could be an issue, I really hate it when that is the first thing they jump to - and seems unlikely after trying 3 brands. If the dang stove is that picky on what it burns, I don't see how the company could stay in business..

Glad you got the issue figured out though.

Great to see you got it going- some Breckwells have 4 trap doors- very important to clean those traps, tapping on back of stove and vacuuming them is a good thing, sticking a noodle brush up the back of the stove is necessary too- Breckwells are nice simple design, normally very reliable. I agree with Bogie, shame on the prior people for not knowing how to clean them... hey to trust is good, to not trust (that they would have cleaned it properly) is better. Good luck.

Download the PDF manuel of the pellet stove on the web site. ALL is in the book......maintenance....parts........installation......etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.