Breckwell insert cleaning tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Dec 7, 2007
CT
We've got the P2000 insert. I'm just wondering how everyone else that owns this model cleans their stove? I've been using a razor to scrap the soot off the glass and then scooping the ash out with a shovel. Is there an easier way? Does anyone use a vacuum? I clean it every other day or once every two days. How often does everyone else clean their stove? I've noticed the build up on the window is not as harsh with different brands of pellets.

Michele said:
We've got the P2000 insert. I'm just wondering how everyone else
that owns this model cleans their stove? Does anyone use a vacuum?

It doesn't matter what make/model pellet stove you have, they
all are pretty much the same when it comes to cleaning. Usually
consists of cleaning the burnpot, heat exchange tubes, ash traps,
and emptying ash pan. The owners manual is your friend and
has a detailed description of cleaning. (Page 19 in the PDF manual I pointed you to before)

Many of us use shop vac's to clean out the stoves. I use a Loveless shop vac
with a drywall bag otherwise the ash dust particles will fill your house.
You can get an inexpensive shop vac and drywall bags at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Always let the stove cool long enough so that there are no hot ashes inside or
you could have yourself a fire.

I clean the glass with a cleaner we had here in the house that is
specifically for dirty fireplace doors. I wouldn't use a razor blade as you
can scratch the glass with it and it's just messy. I vacuum the door and
gasket off first, then spray the cleaner on a towel then wipe down the door.
The glass on my stove gets dirty very quickly if I run the stove on low for long periods.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look for one of those dry wall bags next time I"m at the Depot.

I'm like Zeta, my glass gets dirty really fast but I've found that if I clean it shortly after the stove goes out, while the door is still warm, it comes right off with paper towel and some cheap dollar store glass cleaner. Frankly, I haven't tried cleaning it when it's cold and has had time to set up as I HATE cleaning windows! If it ever takes me more than one paper towel to get it clean then I might just let the doggone thing black itself out! Tinted window anyone? lol

I've been using a putty knife and a small mechanics pry bar to clean the burn pot but I need to come up with something better to scoop the ash from the burn pot. I'm thinking that an old metal serving spoon might do the job.

My only problem with cleaning is that the nozzle on my shop vac won't fit into some of the nooks and crannies. Does someone make a small flexible attachment for that kind of stuff?

Shop vac has a small crevice tool kit it attaches to the 1 1/4" hose, I got it at lowes. But I wouldn't be too concerned about these areas...

pegdot said:
My only problem with cleaning is that the nozzle on my shop vac won't fit into some
of the nooks and crannies. Does someone make a small flexible attachment for that kind of stuff?

Do like Mikey does. ;) He told us he duct taped a small piece of garden hose
to the end of the shop vac. My shop vac is a super sucker and all I gotta do
is get it near a small crevice and it sucks the living life outa whatever is in there!

I got a filter for my shop vac, gonna test that baby out today :) We were having problems with lots of black on the windows...it would go up in a triangular pattern on the glass. I didn't realize I was supposed to clean that little space right below the glass until my husband mentioned it last week. Geez...It's amazing. I've been burning for three straight days now and the glass is still nice and clean :) Wish I had known that before lol! I also clean my stove as soon as it's done shutting down.

Michele said:
I got a filter for my shop vac, gonna
test that baby out today :) I also clean my stove as soon as it's done shutting down.

Strong warning! Do not vacuum inside the stove until it has
had time for all the ashes to cool or you can wind up
with a fire and not the good kind.

I'm so paranoid about a vac fire that as soon as I'm done vacuuming the stove, I take the vac outside, empty it, and leave it outside overnite.

When I used to be a woodburner, I started a small fire out back when I dumped some "cold" ashes.

Michele, my bad! I should have been more specific. I clean the glass and scrap the burn pot as soon as I can after shut down but I don't vacuum the stove until it's been sitting for a pretty long time. Shop vac + smoldering ash= flame thrower! :bug:

Picked up a dry wall bag for my vac a few days ago. Seems to be doing the trick.

pegdot said:
Michele, my bad! I should have been more specific. I clean the glass and scrap the burn pot as soon as I can after shut down but I don't vacuum the stove until it's been sitting for a pretty long time. Shop vac + smoldering ash= flame thrower! :bug:

Picked up a dry wall bag for my vac a few days ago. Seems to be doing the trick.

No worries :) I know better than to vacuum a hot stove.

zeta said:
Strong warning! Do not vacuum inside the stove until it has
had time for all the ashes to cool or you can wind up
with a fire and not the good kind.

Exactly!
This just happened to a home near Boston yesterday. According to the media,
the person cleaned their pellet stove the day before yesterday and left the ashes in a
bag in a stairwell. Fire officials claim the bag was smoldering for a day before it was even noticed.
More than half the house is now burned to the ground.
Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Please be careful everyone and have a safe winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.