Breckwell klinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leung

Oct 4, 2014
Poconos
This is the second time this week I pulled a gallon bucket full of unburnt pellets out and the burn pot is solid. I’m using Lignistics and can’t figure it out. They’re mounded around the burn pot holder and all over the base. Anyone have any suggestions. It’s putting out good heat, just a lot of waste and solid pot. I appreciate the help

0556892E-DF27-401D-AC63-69B48945E5FD.jpeg

when was the last time you cleaned the stove from intake to rain cap? pulled the plate inside the fire box, the combustion blower and chamber? vent pipe? lignetics have been a lil dirty the last couple years. where is your damper set ?

It’s cleaned regularly top to bottom damper is out about an inch. All the way is a heel of a flame. Like a torch. I’m just confused about it. My layout is straight out the wall to the clean out tee, then up 6’ with swivel joint cap. It’s all suave to pipe. Here’s a look from the top then the outside.

Attachments

• 6509B351-8E36-48A4-87AF-4B6620EBA8DA.jpeg
    6509B351-8E36-48A4-87AF-4B6620EBA8DA.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 88DFF921-B281-4239-8704-2AC6A072930E.jpeg
    88DFF921-B281-4239-8704-2AC6A072930E.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 100
What heat range are you running at? Have you tried any other brands of pellets? it looks like the burn is starving for air.

#2 during the day, #3 at night. I have the damper all the way to see if that gets them to burn better. How’s the flame look? Too hot? It’s on #3 here.

Attachments

• IMG_6409.MOV
    6.4 MB
that vid was blowtorch lil to much air. drop the damper down half way and do another video

that looks pretty good, glass is a lil dirty but it looks good and busy, if it is a bright yellow and white flame i think its lookin good

Yeah we were in the negatives last night. Expect the same tonight

Wow thats one dirty stove mine never looks like that after a week or 2... Their is a burn pot extender you can buy for that stove or you can do like i did and make one out of some 1.5" flat bar.. works great i get maybe 20 random pellets in the bottom at the end of the week... I found the sweat spot for my damper is 3/4 - 1" and i don't adjust it between level 1-3 the stove never see's any level higher.
Depending on your pellets you have to scrape that burn pot daily or ever couple of days or the air holes will build up with minerals and that looks like what has happened their... Also have you removed those 2 plates and cleaned all the ash out of them?

Reactions: Ssyko
Well, I let it ride for a bit then chit it down to clean the pot and still had a lot of klinkers, jammed around the pot holder and the little glass got smoked out. I put the pot extension on and open the dampener up almost all the way. Maybe more air will help? I was thinking with that 45 coming off the outlet may be restricting as you can see in the pic above? Appreciate the help!

Well, I let it ride for a bit then chit it down to clean the pot and still had a lot of klinkers, jammed around the pot holder and the little glass got smoked out. I put the pot extension on and open the dampener up almost all the way. Maybe more air will help? I was thinking with that 45 coming off the outlet may be restricting as you can see in the pic above? Appreciate the help!
To much air is going to blow pellets all over the place with this unit... my setup is pretty much identical and I burn 98% clean no clinkers. So you either have a dirty intake or exhaust fan or piping. Or your not getting it cleaned properly... could be bad pellets as well

I would have to try some diff pellets first. then i would consider a leaf blower, remove the T and hook directly to the pipe coming out of the house then tun it on and beat the daylights out of the firebox with a rubber mallet.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Ok so opening the dampener just about all the way, equals all the nice ash. I know it’s clean. I have todo it again when it warms. Switched from Lignetics ($5) to Energex ($6.50). See what happens...

Ok so opening the dampener just about all the way, equals all the nice ash. I know it’s clean. I have todo it again when it warms. Switched from Lignetics ($5) to Energex ($6.50). See what happens...
Curious how this turned out? I have a breckwell sp4000 and have similar issues. Had a fire in the ash pan, did a (second) full clean, but still getting klinkers. Waiting on parts to install an OAK hoping that results in a cleaner burn

Please explain or a picture of the 'Klinkers' You only ger Klinkers when burning corn. Klinkers with pellets is an example of too little combustion air and an incomplete burn. All you should get is ashes.

Reactions: johneh
if you had a fire in the ash pan you probably have pellets bouncing or blowing out of the burn pot. Not sure about yours but on mine i put a burn pot extension on and its eliminated about 90% of the pellets bouncing into the ash.

I would have to try some diff pellets first. then i would consider a leaf blower, remove the T and hook directly to the pipe coming out of the house then tun it on and beat the daylights out of the firebox with a rubber mallet.
Funny you should post that. That is EXACTLY what I do every time I clean my 6039. I beat the firebox inside with a deadblow mallet. Knocks all the loose stuff off the interior surfaces. Used to use a 2x2 wooden stick as well.