Breckwell loud augur

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScruffyC

Jul 4, 2021
Ct.
Hi I have a Breckwell I23 which I bought used. It works good but has a loud groaning sound sometimes from the augur. I replaced the motor with one from Amazon and it was fine for 2 months then the noise came back. I took the motor and augur out. The augur seems good but the bottom edge is a little sharp. The bottom bushing doesn’t seem too loose and the top one is hard to tell. I want to remove the top bushing so I can check the clearance. Do I remove the bushing and plate by tapping up from the bottom? Any advice would be appreciated.

If your going to pull them do yourself a favor and just replace em... Your in their and its not a expensive part. Also make sure your rubber bumpers are on the 2 shafts that stop the motor from spinning as the motor rests on them when its turning and will increase the sound... Cant remember how the bushings came out since its been a few years changing mine. I would change the auger as well while your in their then everything is nice and tight.. Also buy some extra pins that hold the motor to the shaft.. Nothing worse then trying to find one of those in the middle of winter..LOL

Thanks for the quick response. I took a closer look at the augur and the bottom 2” have some scarring on the edge as if some metal might have got in there. I think I will replace the bushings and polish up the augur and see how it goes. Also when I feel the inside of the augur tube it’s a little sharp at the opening at the bottom I guess I’ll polish that up too.

Another question my stove has a plastic bushing on the bottom, can I replace it with a bronze bushing?

So I put the augur back in and turned it by hand and I noticed it would catch and get stuck. I took it out and it looks like the very top of the augur screw was catching. I took a file and filed it down and gave it a little round over. I put it back in and it turned freely. I think this should fix it, but I’ Report back after it’s been in use for a while.

So I put the augur back in and turned it by hand and I noticed it would catch and get stuck. I took it out and it looks like the very top of the augur screw was catching. I took a file and filed it down and gave it a little round over. I put it back in and it turned freely. I think this should fix it, but I’ Report back after it’s been in use for a while.
I started the stove for the first time last week and it was quiet, for about a day. Then it started screeching again. I just took another look at it and there is a rubber piece which the augur motor bears against I assume to keep it quiet. That had slipped down so the motor was contacting metal. I slid it up and put another piece of rubber underneath it to keep it from sliding down, instantly quiet. Finally. See photo lower right quadrant

B023156A-EECE-4092-920F-84D9A4130B4B.jpeg

It's auger btw.....

Reactions: Washed-Up