Breckwell P200i insert Starting issues continue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

windgate

Jan 8, 2014
Delmarva
Halfway through last season our stove had issues starting. The stove starts and goes into the start-up process (combustion fan starts), but the auger doesn’t turn and igniter doesn’t come on. I’ve taken this stove apart several times and have become pretty good at servicing, but this latest issue has me scratching my head.

Below is a progressive list of repairs that I made by part (I essentially threw parts at it):

Auger motor (new in 2019) – put direct power to it, turned no problem

Igniter (new in 2019) – put direct power to it, came on red hot no problem

Control board (rebuilt in 2013) – Replaced fuses

Convection fan – Replaced

Switches – Tried bypassing (jumping) all of the switches (vacuum, high limit, switch on combustion fan). Also cleaned the vacuum switch hose and tested the vacuum switch

No change after these modifications

Control board – Ordered a new control board and installed

No change with new control board, still wouldn’t start. Re-installed the old control board

High limit switch – Replaced

Switch on combustion fan – Replaced

Wiring harness – Replaced, also cleaned up and replaced the ground screw to the stove frame

It started working!! Started up and ran no problems……. Ran well for about a month, then started having the same startup issues. This was late in the season so we stopped using the stove.

I’m about to dive back into this in a few weeks. Essentially the only remaining parts that haven’t been replaced are the combustion fan and the vacuum switch. I may replace those just for the hell of it.

Any tips or feedback is appreciated. Thanks

One thing you have not mentioned. Have you cleaned ALL
the passage's of ash ? It sounds to me by your description that
the vacuum switch is not sensing any vac. or the switch or vac.
hose needs attention

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, we cleaned it thoroughly(top to bottom) early in the troubleshooting process. I will probably give it another deep cleaning before diving back into it this season. I may even replace the door gasket as well, it was replaced about four seasons ago.

Halfway through last season our stove had issues starting. The stove starts and goes into the start-up process (combustion fan starts), but the auger doesn’t turn and igniter doesn’t come on. I’ve taken this stove apart several times and have become pretty good at servicing, but this latest
This sounds like a vac problem
just jump the 2 vac switch wires and try to start it

Well since you said you have bypassed all switches with no change and that it started working after new harness, i would suspect something is taking out the harness or connections on the harness are coming loose.. Do you still have the old harness? i would take a test meter and start ohming out the wires and see where the issue is. Even if the vacuum switch was bad it would still start the startup cycle for about 1=3 min before it would error out and shut down..