BRECKWELL P23 SHUTTING OFF ON LEVEL 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlo83

Jan 13, 2009
Middlesex MA
I have barely ran my stove on level 1 this year but over the past week or so on the warmer days Ive turned it to 1 and went to work only to find the stove off when I got home. Does anyone know why the stove might be shutting off when its on level 1?

jlo83 said:
I have barely ran my stove on level 1 this year but over the past week or so on the warmer days Ive turned it to 1 and went to work only to find the stove off when I got home. Does anyone know why the stove might be shutting off when its on level 1?

I'm going to tell you what Breckwell told me! Don't run the stove on 1!(They're words not mine)

Try running it on the 1-5 setting. Look in manual. you have to press the feed trim botton. My BigE ran better but still would lose the fire once in a while.

You are burning up the pellets faster than it will feed them. the 1-5 setting will increase the pellet feed. Try dropping your draft as low as you dare to.

Or simply run the stove on 2. Might want to hook up a t-stat and run in on/off mode!

Good Luck.
jay

If you are running it on #1 try with the damper all the way in. See if that helps.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
If you are running it on #1 try with the damper all the way in. See if that helps.

Eric

There is an update that Breckwell should look in to to make it easier for the end-user. If they had a variable speed combustion blower it would take the damper(draft) adjustment out of the picture. Then the end-user wood be able to use the High/low feature or run the stove on any speed without adjusting it. I could never use it because I was never home when it went to low. Stove would go out and house would be cold when I got home.

The Enviro stoves all have this feature and It's a really nice one to have.

just my 2
jay

I am guessing that when you looked at the control panel after the stove had shut off, that the number 3 light was flashing, this means the proof of fire sensor sensed there was no fire. It's primary job is to sense when the stove is out of pellets so that it stops the auger motor and eventually the fans as well. Try turning the trim up and/or closing the damper a little.
In order to turn the trim up the stove must be on level one, after the ignition cycle is done and the on/off button is solid. Then press reset trim, if i remember correctly the 1 and 4 lights should be on, this means you are on the high trim setting. If you were to press it again (i am going from memory so you should double check with your manual) the 1 and 3 lights should come on, this means low trim. If pressed again only the 1 light will be on and this will be the normal/medium trim setting

The digital controller for these breckwell stove seem to be a strange design. The rewiring required is a big put off to most owners.

If have designed a DIRECT PLUG IN controller board that has an LCD Display, 8 buttons, power switch, real-time clock with programmable start/shutdown timer, which is completely programmable and has a heat range of OFF, then 10-100%. A buddy in Sudbury is testing in his garage over the winter.

With it you would be able to have an adjustable minimum burn rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.