Breckwell P24 overfeeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
I'm trying to help out a friend who has a Breckwell stove that overfeeds when set at 3 or more, Stove and venting was cleaned and followed all troubleshooting suggestions which leaves replacing the control board. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks Joe

Most of the time folks think the stove is OVER feeding when the problem is just the stove is not buring up the pellets fast enough due to not enough air or poor draft

Check the feed times.
I think the owners manual has feed times.

Clean out the stove
all the vent and all the ash traps just to be sure
also make sure the door and ash pan are sealed tight.
Follow the help files on our website
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/Breckwell_help.htm

Thanks HT, found that the ash pan was tweeked because it was not secured and lit pellets caused a fire in the ash bin. I cannot get the ash pan straightened and will have to replace it for him, meanwhile another use for duct tape is keeping the stove running.

Where do you recommend I get an ash pan for this unit?

Thanks Joe

Defiant said:
Thanks HT, found that the ash pan was tweeked because it was not secured and lit pellets caused a fire in the ash bin. I cannot get the ash pan straightened and will have to replace it for him, meanwhile another use for duct tape is keeping the stove running.

Where do you recommend I get an ash pan for this unit?

Thanks Joe
I would contact breckwell about the ash pan.
www.breckwell.com

Hello Everyone and thank you for reading my post,

I have this problem as well and I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in figuring out what I should do next. I installed the unit through the wall and going up perhaps 6 feet high (I bought a kit of the double wall pipes) After doing some research it was indicated that the pipe should past the roof line for best air draft flow, which should then help in burning efficiency. Well, yesterday I finally bit the bullet and added pipes to pass the roof line about 2 feet; but the pellets are still not burning completely, filling up the "burning pot". I then added a tiny computer fan and the back of the air feeder pipe hopping to improve the air inside the pellet stove without any results. I have been told that I should extend the air pipe feeder to the outside of the house, so I decided to post my question here hopping for some ideas before I go drilling another hole to the wall of my house :)

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Steve

jordan69s said:
Hello Everyone and thank you for reading my post,

I have this problem as well and I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in figuring out what I should do next. I installed the unit through the wall and going up perhaps 6 feet high (I bought a kit of the double wall pipes) After doing some research it was indicated that the pipe should past the roof line for best air draft flow, which should then help in burning efficiency. Well, yesterday I finally bit the bullet and added pipes to pass the roof line about 2 feet; but the pellets are still not burning completely, filling up the "burning pot". I then added a tiny computer fan and the back of the air feeder pipe hopping to improve the air inside the pellet stove without any results. I have been told that I should extend the air pipe feeder to the outside of the house, so I decided to post my question here hopping for some ideas before I go drilling another hole to the wall of my house :)

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Steve

What kind of stove?

You want to check for air leaks in the ash pan
Door and any other spots

make sure the ash traps and exhaust ports are clean and clear.

Follow the steps in this post
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13419/

Hello Rod and thank you for replying!

I have a Breckwell P-2700FSA. Since I added more pipes to the exhaust I clean all the line including the one connecting to the pellet stove. There was not much ash there at all. But as soon as I started the unit, the front glass starts to get a black layer soot very early in the game and I can see some smoke inside the stove itself. We checked for any smoke liking out and that was not the case. We were not sure on how to test for air licking inside the stove from the door seal. There is not different in the fire if I close or open the air pull on the left hand side; a lazy yellow flame regardless if I closed (choke) the fire or open it all the way. I did open three lids inside the stove wall and used a long brush to clean, the vacuumed everything perfectly clean, including the very black sooted glass door.

What do you think?

hi i also have a breckwell... when it is turn off and cooled down ,if you have a shop vac try to put the hose of the shop vac on to the air intake on the back of the stove take the burn pot off pull the air rod on the stove open put your hand over the tube that goes into the burn put pull the air in and out see if anything changes the rod my not be moving the plate and blocking the air ...
hope that helps cary

Thanks for your thoughts!

I can feel the air from the PC mini fan I attached from the back. I also open the cover to clean the air fan (which was pretty dirty. At that point I made sure that the rod was in the correct place. Simple mechanism, the rod ends in a knife type ending, when the rod gets pushed, the end of the rod closes the air supply pipe!

Thank you kindly :)

Make sure all the exhaust chambers are clean.

they is the hollow part of the the stove that the exhaust flows from the burn pot up near the tubes and back down behind the fire box between the hopper
there is 2 slots on the right and left if the firebox at the top of the firebox even or just above the heat exchange tubes on the left and righ. Make sure they are clear. and the hollow chambers that go back down. Long bottle brush works great.

I too have the same problems with my P24I. It is 9 years old, I've had some of the sensors replaced, I've written to Breckwell, they suggested taking off the cover to the harper and checking for a build up of sawdust. I did this and cleaned it top to bottom. The overfeeding issue stopped for about a week then it started up again. To be honest, I don't feel I can trust this stove anymore. It overfeeds at random, the unit itself gets very hot and will continue to overfeed until you intervine. What I end up doing is turning it down to low and turning the circulation fan on high to cool the darn thing down. I wrote to Breckwell last week about the situation and have not heard from them at all. I hope nobody else is going through this with them.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.