Breckwell p24fsa shutting down intermittently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gator312

Nov 29, 2021
New York
Hi im new to pellet stoves and i bought a used breckwell p24fs. Its older it has the manual control board, the only date i can find on it is 1995. it worked fine for a while then the convection fan went (it was making noise when i bought it so i knew it was a matter of time) so i replaced the fan with a direct replacement and it ran flawlessly up until a few days ago it started shutting down intermittently. It will shut down faster if i turn the feed rate up, but whenever it shuts down it kicks back on in a matter of minutes if not seconds but the auger doesnt reset so the fire dies. Would this be a hi/lo limit switch issue? Or maybe a vacuum issue? Im no professional so anything helps. Thanks in advance

you can jumper all of those and see if it cures the problem... For the price of those items i would just replace them all for pc of mind. Also check your door gasket and make sure you are getting a good seal

you can jumper all of those and see if it cures the problem... For the price of those items i would just replace them all for pc of mind. Also check your door gasket and make sure you are getting a good seal
Ok ill try jumping them and see what that does. As far as i know the door seal is fine because i can pull out on it while the stove is running and it will stay on

I jumped all 3 thermodisks one by on and no luck. Still shutting down. So i jumped the vacuum switch out of curiosity, and it never shut down. Then i plugged the vacuum switch back in to see if it would shut down and it wont turn on at all. Replace the vacuum switch? Or did i screw something else up by jumping it?

Jumping it should not have hurt anything... Try pulling the hose off it and make sure its clear, i put my vacuum over the hose every time i clean to keep it clear... It may have just been murphy's law that it failed totally when you unplugged it part is cheap i would replace it... I would also order the termodisks, and a ignitor just to have handy as parts never fail at a good time.. I keep spares kicking around all the time

Reactions: Mt Bob and gator312
What Z said. Yes ash can do strange things. Get sin the hose,nipple at firebox,and even inside the switch. At the firebox, if you can get to it, always good to "ream" it out once in a while, because a hard blockage of part of the nipple can cause intermittent problems, with ash going over it. Hose can be cleaned, switch can be gently vacuumed, some even take it out and tap on it,shake it. But, yes the switch could be weak, and stove temperature may be causing it to do strange things.

What Z said. Yes ash can do strange things. Get sin the hose,nipple at firebox,and even inside the switch. At the firebox, if you can get to it, always good to "ream" it out once in a while, because a hard blockage of part of the nipple can cause intermittent problems, with ash going over it. Hose can be cleaned, switch can be gently vacuumed, some even take it out and tap on it,shake it. But, yes the switch could be weak, and stove temperature may be causing it to do strange things.
I got it figured out. Turns out there was hard ash build up in the top of the chamber around the firebox on the sides. I thought i had everything vacuumed out but i tapped on the sides of the firebox and there was probably 3 good hand fulls of hard ash build up that mustve been blocking exhaust flow. Thanks for the input guys

Reactions: Mt Bob
I got it figured out. Turns out there was hard ash build up in the top of the chamber around the firebox on the sides. I thought i had everything vacuumed out but i tapped on the sides of the firebox and there was probably 3 good hand fulls of hard ash build up that mustve been blocking exhaust flow. Thanks for the input guys
Yep,Breckwell and rubber mallet go hand in hand.