Breckwell P2700 stove blowing fuses during startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodyak

Feb 4, 2021
Rockport, MA
This is an older stove that's been run 24x7 during late fall to early spring on low. Recently I bumped it from 1 to 2. I woke up to a cold stove. I tried starting her up and it powered on but the auger motor would not turn. I ordered a replacement and found out that it was the high heat circuit and not the motor. Doh! I turned the stove on with the new motor and it started right up. But, it never throttled down from the startup process. As it began to over-fire the fuse blew. Both on the circuit board and the house breaker. I checked my connections and wires and they all seemed fine. I picked up some 5A fuses and replaced it on the circuit board and started over. The same thing happened 3x before I decided to stop from burning down my house.

My first thought is circuit board. My feeling is that when I turned it up something was screwy on it that caused it to overfire. I haven't tried putting my old motor in, in case the new motor was drawing too much power. I also noticed that my blower motor always stays on high. I liked it that way, so ignored it. It kind of feels like its stuck in startup mode too long and then blows the fuse.

Thoughts?

Start up is only a timer for the igniter. It turns off after 12-15 minutes. Is the replacement motor the same amperage as the old one? Unlugg the igniter and see if the fuse blow’s. Those boards wont take many blown fuses before there is damage to components on the board. Lets hope yours isn’t to far gone.

Also, keep in mind that thermal breakers in your house panel, after a couple trips, start getting weaker by their inherent design so multiple trips can cause a rated breaker to trip well below the nameplate rating.

I keep spares on hand just for that scenario.

Start up is only a timer for the igniter. It turns off after 12-15 minutes. Is the replacement motor the same amperage as the old one? Unlugg the igniter and see if the fuse blow’s. Those boards wont take many blown fuses before there is damage to components on the board. Lets hope yours isn’t to far gone.
Thanks for the response. I found a newer Piazzetta Sabrina locally for a decent price so I went in that direction. Now I have some new stuff to work through...