Brick Face requirements for fireplace with gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sdcanuck

Oct 11, 2018
San Diego
Hi folks,

I'm working on remodeling my family room, and my plan is to have a gas insert (FireplaceX 616) installed into my existing fireplace. During demo, I removed the existing raised hearth and face brick around the fireplace. (The first picture was taken mid-demo.) The floor is concrete slab, and I've installed tile over the slab. My plan was to replace the drywall above and beside the fireplace with cement backer board, and then install a stacked stone tile from floor to ceiling, extending about 12" on either side of the fireplace.

The installer for the gas insert told me that I needed to replace the face brick before he can install the insert. I'm trying to understand what the building code actually requires. If I install cement backer board and 1" thick stone tile, does that meet requirements? Or do I truly need to have the 4" thick brick, extending 8" around the fireplace, to meet code?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

20180322_192921.jpg 20180522_160258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dasky, thanks for the reply.

My follow up question would then be, what defines "non-combustible"? If I replace what used to be 4" thick brick with 1/2" of concrete backer board, and 1" thick stone veneer, and extend at least 5" to the side of the firebox (l in the figure above), and to at least 36" above the floor (m in the figure), is that sufficient to satisfy code?

I would say yes, but I would run it by your installer & if you're having the install inspected, have it approved by the that person as well...