Brick fireplace questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JrH

Feb 15, 2023
Oklahoma
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I’m just excited to actually find a forum where I can ask my question(s).

I just bought a home recently and it has a brick fireplace. I don’t like the look of the brick and I really want to shiplap over it, but only if it’s safe to do so.

My main concern is the fireplace has what appears to be 3 vent-like areas where the bricks are paid but have no mortar in them. A lot of air comes in through those vented bricks at all times.

Are those something that be mortared in, or do those have to remain?

My other question would be, if those have to remain because it’s wood burning, could I spring for a modern gas insert and safely plug those holes and use shiplap over the existing brick?

Here’s a pic of what I’m calling vent areas:

2F3B7564-6C58-4DA5-A194-85B75C86558C.jpeg

I'd be very curious where that vent is drawing air in from, especially if it's all the time. I've never seen a heatilator like that before. Either way it's not a good idea to put combustible materials around a fireplace, even a gas fireplace.

Reactions: JrH
I'd be very curious where that vent is drawing air in from, especially if it's all the time. I've never seen a heatilator like that before. Either way it's not a good idea to put combustible materials around a fireplace, even a gas fireplace.

Thank you for the feedback.

The vent pic I posted runs the length of the actual fireplace opening above it.

There are smaller vents exactly like that at the bottom of the opening on either side. Not sure if that helps or not.

I’m going to scrap the idea of shiplapping the fireplace after reading a bit more. Now I’ve moved on to wondering if I could face it with something else. Maybe granite? Then I know I’d be waiting for it to fall on someone instead of waiting for the shiplap to cause a fire.

Could you point me to a place maybe on this forum where people have suggestions for refacing the brick?

I just don’t like the brick and rather than leave it as is, I might consider just removing the chimney and fireplace altogether, but then there’s the issue of matching the brick back on the outside as it’s a full brick home.

:/

https://thepaintedhome.com/2020/04/how-to-ship-lap-a-fireplace-with-cement-board.html. You may have to block those vents to keep any paint from turning a different color (if they have heat coming out).

Thanks.

That’s the weird thing about these vents. That’s what I thought they were for, dispersing heated air, but even when I’ve been burning wood for several hours, it’s still cold air coming out of those vents.

I read something last night about replacement air, now I think that may be their purpose.

It may be a poor implementation or the lower supply air vents may be blocked off.
Get the manual for clearance requirements. I am pretty sure it will state that wood can not be put on the fireplace face directly above the fireplace opening.

You cannot block those vents with wood. That would absolutely be a fire hazard.

Have you had the whole system inspected fully by a chimney pro? Many of those old heat form boxes are rusted out and unsafe to use

Reactions: MJSullivan56
You cannot block those vents with wood. That would absolutely be a fire hazard.

Have you had the whole system inspected fully by a chimney pro? Many of those old heat form boxes are rusted out and unsafe to use

I just started looking for someone local.

Thank you for the feedback.